I'm just back from Lembeh and had the chance to photograph the well known pair of Rhinopias that have been there for a while.
What I find confusing is that the "pair" that clearly spend all their time together are apparently different species (these were the best ID style shots I had):
![]()
Being a classic R. frondosa type
![]()
Being a classic R. eschmeyeri type.
I have always presumed that Rhinopias must be very stinky - that is how these relatively rare fish are able to find each other in the big ocean - as they are often aggregated.
But what I find confusing is that two closely related species aggregate. Seemingly showing the same habitat preferences and responding to each others chemical signals. From an evolutionary stand point this makes one wonder how these two species differentiated in the first place, as sure this behavioural mechanism would promote hybridisation rather than speciation?
And I guess this makes me wonder about the validity of the different species? What are the main morphological differences between R. frondosa and R. eschmeyeri? And has anyone ever photographed individuals that clearly fall between the two types.
Alex

