Manta ray gives rare birth in captivity in Okinawa aquarium
Started by shawnh ·
5Posts
5Replies
Read-only discussion
Manta ray gives rare birth in captivity in Okinawa aquarium
5 posts
As much as I take issue with what is happening in this aquarium (and most for tat matter), it is exciting to see one more manta born in the world:)
(Photo courtesy of Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium)
MOTOBU, Okinawa -- A manta ray was born at an aquarium here, becoming only the world's second such creature to be born in captivity.
The Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium in Motobu witnessed the birth of the manta ray on Tuesday. The baby was born to the same parents that had also given birth to another baby manta ray in June last year.
I had the priviledge of looking one in the eye about two weeks ago -in the Lhaviyani atoll-Maldives- and I snapped him/her too......awesome...
The shame of it is, that juvenile manta will probably never see its natural environment. Pelagic species should never, under any circumstances, be kept in captivity. Mantas and whalesharks range so widely across the tropics that even the largest tank in the world is like locking them in a tiny room.
I wish some people would think about that before saying how wonderful it is. Just another creature locked up in captivity.
Gavin
Remember: Just because we can, doesn't mean we should!