Put my Olympus D550 into my PT-009 housing as normal, it was properly closed, nothing trapped in the O-ring, and went into the surf......looked down a minute later and it was 2/3 full of water
Ran back out and took it out, but the camera is dead
I've unscrewed and opened up the camera to let it dry out, but what else can I do? I presume there's no chance of Olympus replacing the camera because their housing leaked (I got it from Japan over a year ago)?
If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful.....
Was the camera on? If it was the damage will be worse.
Did you determine where the housing leaked?
The chances are almost 100% that your camera is a doorstop. Unfortunately, you won't be able to get anyone to pay for it unless you have flood insurance.
HTH
James Wiseman
Some homeowners insurance policies will cover the damage. It's not a sure thing, but it's worth a call to your agent.
-Mickey
Some homeowners insurance policies will cover the damage. It's not a sure thing, but it's worth a call to your agent.
-Mickey
Thanks......but we don't have household insurance :freak:
Was the camera on? If it was the damage will be worse.
Did you determine where the housing leaked?
The chances are almost 100% that your camera is a doorstop. Unfortunately, you won't be able to get anyone to pay for it unless you have flood insurance.
HTH
James Wiseman
Yep, the camera was on. And now it isn't.
Also the lens was extended (and still is) so I can't get the memory card out to see if there are any usable pics on it...
I heard about some electrical "contact cleaner" or something solvent-based which can clean things like circuit boards, I might try that.
I've since put the housing underwater to test for leaks and it seems fine. I was at the beach, so I suppose a bit of sand might have got into the seal, but it was pretty full of water, not just a drop or two.
Sorry, Olympus Japan specifically disclaims any responsibility and claims for water damage i.e. flooding for the housing.
They do offer insurance (valid only in Japan).
Since your housing is out of warranty, they won't be able to help.
Did you replace the O-ring after 1 year as recommended?
A major flood like this could only result from the oring not being seated or the door not being closed. Don't waste your time trying to get the camera to work, it won't. I'm assuming you were in a salt water environment. Fresh water it might work a while if you get it dried out.
Yes, that is true...a friend's camera just got fried when the boat lurched, someone had a cup of coffee and spilled it on the camera!
Most of the time, if you even have to replace one electronic component, it is more cost effective to buy a new camera...