Hello, all. I've heard from numerous sources that Fathoms has suspended publication of its magazine, but I haven't heard anything directly from the Fathoms team.
Does anyone out there have more details?
Read-only discussion
Hello, all. I've heard from numerous sources that Fathoms has suspended publication of its magazine, but I haven't heard anything directly from the Fathoms team.
Does anyone out there have more details?
That would be a shame. They certainly set the standard for images and contributors.
Yes, this is interesting and a shame --- but I think more for those of us who subscribed and/or renewed and didn't get any issues delivered for the subscription.
I know the magazine publication business has its hardships (as many ventures do), but sending out renewal notices and then not delivering any issues on the amount charged well that also creates very bad word-of-mouth in the entire publishing field. I wonder how they are going to handle this?
I never had any luck communicating with Fathoms Mag, in fact last year David Fishman sent out a letter and asked for feedback - I gave him very honest feedback (magazine great - renewal and customer service terrible) and funny thing is I told him "it makes me think like you all aren't going to publish anymore so why should I renew". He never acknowledged my written communication. Interesting.
Then probably (stupidly) I renewed my subscription despite my misgivings and haven't gotten any issues even though I emailed and they said they would send me the one they missed sending me.
Depending on how they handle this it is still a fairly recent charge and if nothing is delivered I can probably still handle it directly with my CC company.
Again not to be unsympathetic but many factors need to be taken into account when starting something like Fathoms. Most of all taking care of subscribers and advertisers because their goodwill or lack of will hang around longer than the publication. I recall recently telling Ryan at ReefPhoto the trouble I had renewing with Fathoms and earlier this year how interested Peter Rowlands was when I told him the problems I had and poor customer service. Peter seemed genuinely interested.
Hopefully the Fathoms crew will handle things in a professional manner and remember to treat their customers fairly as it would be a shame to cast a shadow on other diving and conservation publications. I do know that the publishers and contributors are fine examples in the underwater community and I will miss that magazine.
Those are my thoughts, Carol
Carol -- Fathoms may not have an option to treat their customers "fairly." If they have had to suspend publication, then they must be have financial problems, which means that it will be very difficult indeed to handle current subscribers.
I hope the magazine succeeds; it is one of my favorites.
creates very bad word-of-mouth in the entire publishing field
I had a weird run where at 3 successive Beneath The Seas in a row I signed up for some magazines (not any of the big ones that have been around) that looked interesting, the best I did was get one issue in the mail (other than the one I picked up at the table) and never go another issue. I stopped subscribing to any magazine that appear at the shows like this anymore.
It is a shame if Fathoms in fact stopped, was a good magazine on the issues I have seen. Good quality.
Magazine publishing is a tough business and the more niche its subject the harder it is. High quality repro magazines have always had it hard because not enough people are prepared to pay for that quality. Nat Geog succeeds by being very diverse in subject matter and seeking to embrace as many readers as possible. When I tell people what WP Monthly costs, they think I'm crazy!
I subscribed last year for 4 issues. I got 2. I managed to get one that I had missed at a NYUPS meeting. I saw the Fathoms people at BTS too. This is really too bad because it was a beautiful magazine and very well written. Actually, subscribers have probably lost a lot less than any companies that paid for ads that were never published.
When I tell people what WP Monthly costs, they think I'm crazy!
Eric sold me WP Quartely Version for probably the same price, so don't complain
I did the 3 year version and it is about $10 an issue, but I think it leans more booklike than magazine like so it is worth it.
UPDATE:
I just heard back from Karen at Fathoms and she says they are still publishing!
She also apologized that I didn't get issue #22 or the replacement issue she said she would send to me.
She also offered to credit my card back for the full subscription amount.
This was very fast response and I do appreciate it.
I canceled my subscription and will wait for the credit on my CC and told her that I enjoyed the issues of Fathoms that I did receive. It is a fine magazine.
I do have empathy for whatever business problems they may have encountered but it seems from this prompt communication back to me that they are still publishing.
Hope WP Quarterly fares better and I have all faith that they will - I love that publication and I do hope Eric and Co find the formula to continue publishing such a stunning magazine! Not just for our own enjoyment but for the sake of conservation also -- these type publications need to be widely distributed for the planet and its creatures' sake.
Carol
Carol -- Fathoms may not have an option to treat their customers "fairly." If they have had to suspend publication, then they must be have financial problems, which means that it will be very difficult indeed to handle current subscribers.
I hope the magazine succeeds; it is one of my favorites.
Yes, Eric I wanted to add my thoughts on this. I really do understand this and have much empathy as I said about publications, especially that touch on conservation issues, that run into problems.
But on the other hand as a "consumer" it is hard to pay for something and not receive it or all of it, that is a basic bummer you know...
I really think people will understand, especially in this economy, if - for instance - a magazine publication fails (again not to say Fathoms did because I got prompt and admirable response that they are still publishing). But for customers to understand there needs to be good communication. And that was my red flag with this publication, the renewal process was so fraught with communication mess-ups and then missed issues and no replacement issues that I have given up. I too want Fathoms to succeed as I loved it from the moment I saw it first at DEMA and subscribed.
Eric and all just to let you know I have a bit higher standards for business success than the average that is agreed upon these days I think. Any company I've worked for, for any length of time, has been very solvent. In fact I used to manage the customer service dept of a fine jewelry company that did fund-raisers for hospital auxiliaries. I think that is when I really adopted my viewpoint that the customer is always right and must be communicated with and there is no excuse for business mistakes or errors on my or my companies' end. Any other viewpoint on my part would just open the door to lower standards and dissatisfaction from customers and ultimate business decline. Of course problems will arise but I found the best way to address it was to be prompt, honest and do the best I could to correct the situation with prompt communication. You know dealing with volunteers, many of whom had wealthy husbands (or wives) who were doctors, and about something as important to them as their jewelry, is a very demanding thing. But I learned that it is possible to please (almost) everyone but you have to honestly communicate. I think too many business get into difficulties and just "disappear" and that is just not the way to go about it and unfortunately it happens too much.
When I was a customer service rep I was adamant about treating everyone "fairly" so maybe its like there is no worse person to be around if you smoke than an X-smoker? I really have strong views on how to treat customers. But as said I also have great empathy for businesses who run into problems --- especially in today's economy.
Good Luck to Fathoms and thanks for all the great articles and knowledgeable contributors! I too hope it succeeds! And if it doesn't I think even subscribers would understand if they aren't just "surprised" out of left field but are communicated honestly with.
Thanks for letting me "ramble", Sincerely, Carol ![]()
There is some sort of press release floating around about the suspension that I have not seen. But I know people who say they've talked to people who got the release.
I guess whatever is going on will surface, at some point...
There is some sort of press release floating around about the suspension that I have not seen. But I know people who say they've talked to people who got the release.
I guess whatever is going on will surface, at some point...
A few weeks ago I sent an email through the website and got no response so this morning I callled. I subscribed at BTS in late March and haven't seen an issue. The woman I spoke with said "they weren't sure if they would be publishing any further issues". She said I should see a refund on my CC with in 2 wks.
SO it sounds like Fathoms is no more. Actually it was getting psyched up for Fathoms that made me subscribe to WetPixel Quarterly. At least I got one issue of that. Say when does the next one come out. I need my fix... ![]()
. I subscribed at BTS in late March and haven't seen an issue.
I subscribed to magazines at BTS (not Fathoms) two or three years in a row and never saw an issue of any of them. They had one or two issues at their booths, picked them up, thought they were cool, and subscribed....
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.