Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Rec. for commercial printing of pics

Started by jnsgonda ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Rec. for commercial printing of pics

5 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I have a Cannon Printer (SJC-8600 I think - I'm at work) and ussually print my pics at home. I was wondering if any commercial operations will print high quality JPEG or TiFF files from cd-rw's sent to them or dropped off.

    I would like to assume commercial ops would be able to print higher resolutions than myself. I have a Fuji S2 and would like to see the quality reflected in the prints. I know most places (Walmart,etc.) will print from cds but don't know the specifics. One better than the other?

     

    Does anyone have any experience with this?

     

    Thanks,

     

    John

  2. John,

    I have had Costco print a number of images for me. Price is .19 for 4x6 and $1.99 for 8x12. They use a Fuji Frontier print machine and print onto Fuji Archival paper. I have been very pleased with the results. I know I have run across a site where you can download ICC Profiles to be ued with this machine, or others at different locations, but I can't seem to find it in my Favorites. When I do I'll post.

    TEdJ

  3. Hello,

     

    I just wanted to report my experience with Cosco.

     

    I was very happy with the results. The prints looked great using the glossy paper, much better than my Canon 8000 at home. Great price at 0.19 per print. I was also very happy with the 8X12 enlargements for $1.99 per print.

     

    The pictures were TIFF (8 bit) files from a Fuji S2.

     

    I converted the above files to the highest quality JPEGS as possible and ordered a set to compare.

    I actually saw a large difference in quality between the TIFF and JPEGs which suprised me. From now on I will print only from the TIFFs. Also gave me another reason to shoot only in RAW.

     

    Thanks for all your help,

     

    John

  4. John,

     

    Thanks for the feedback. I have not tried using Costco with TIFF files, very interesting results. I too will give it a try. Did they also use the Fuji machine and did you do anything about ICC profiles? Thanks TEdJ

  5. Ted,

     

    The Cosco near me did use the Fuji Frontier printers. I didn't do anything about the ICC profiles, to be honest, because I'm not sure what you are referring to. I assume the ICC profile has something to do with the printer deciphering the colors correctly from a specific camera type (Nikon, Fuji, etc). I may have gotten lucky because I printed files from a Fuji camera through Finepix Viewer.

     

    Thanks again,

     

    John

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.