Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

iMatch........for a beginner??

Started by RStyle ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

iMatch........for a beginner??

6 posts
  1. I have been doing film photo for many years. I am the proces of scanning my slides and organizing. Also bought new DSLR and housing to continue my amateyr u/w photo hobby.

    I have been reading and looking for a way to organize and store my images that will not overwhelm a beginner.

    Recently looked at iMatch and wondering if people that use it think it may be to complex or if there is anything else they recommend for someone starting.

    Thanks for any help

  2. Congrats on the new dSLR!

    It seems to me that the two most popular programs are Adobe Lightroom and and Apple's Aperture. One of the nicest things I have found in using these popular programs is when I am sitting with others watching them work, I always stop them at some point and say, "hey, how did you do that!?". I'm always learning something new from others. I haven't worked with imatch, nor have I seen anyone using it (I'm not saying it is not good) but the two previously mentioned cataloging programs work quite well.

  3. I used iMatch for a few years and found it quite helpful as a catalog. I really liked the fact I could easily use keywords in a consistent and logical way. I'm not using it much now - preferring to be completely disorganised :P

     

    I still use it to manage my species ID shots and generate tree-style image catalogs for the web.

     

    I think its great for a beginner, and good value. I found the forum quite helpful with answers ...

     

    Its great to learn from others, and a more mainstream app could have that advantage for you? I guess I don't see many other photographers at work to take advantage of that :)

  4. I am using Imatch as well, but as a tool to keep track of everything, keywording/categories and such. If you are looking for a RAW converter or something to touch up pictures, it is in the wrong category.

     

    Gerard

  5. Thanks

     

    I am learning Adobe CS for editing

    Was looking for an easy way to catalogue, store and find my images

     

    Learning to play with the DSLR, learning AdobeCS.....................a lot for an aging brain.

    That is why I am looking for an easy browsing solution that does not require many more hours of learning

  6. You might have a look at the Album part of Photoshop Elements. I've used that for years and it works well and simply. I've got about 16,000 pix indexed with keywords.

     

    I've been using Lightroom for a few weeks now and it sure looks good and may take over from Album for me. But, as I say, Album is quick, easy, intuitive and inexpensive.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.