Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

5D and hotshoe connector problem

Started by Bent C ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

5D and hotshoe connector problem

5 posts
  1. I have an EOS 5D in an Ikelite housing. When I fit the hotshoe connector of the Ikelite housing to the 5D and assemble the 5D and the backplate and the front part of the housing, there is very little space from the housing roof to the hotshoe connector. In fact, the fit is so tight, that the connector often will be pushed just a little bit out of the hotshoe, leading to erratic flash behaviour. I have tried several solutions (apart from the obvious, to be very careful) such as taping the connector to the hotshoe with duct tape or having a piece of string running around behind the connector and out of the housing lens opening, pulling the string tight when the backplate is fixed in the housing and thus repositioning the connector forwards. However, none of my solutions work very well. I would be very grateful for any suggestions how to solve this problem.

     

    Regards

     

    Bent C.

  2. I have an EOS 5D in an Ikelite housing. When I fit the hotshoe connector of the Ikelite housing to the 5D and assemble the 5D and the backplate and the front part of the housing, there is very little space from the housing roof to the hotshoe connector. In fact, the fit is so tight, that the connector often will be pushed just a little bit out of the hotshoe, leading to erratic flash behaviour. I have tried several solutions (apart from the obvious, to be very careful) such as taping the connector to the hotshoe with duct tape or having a piece of string running around behind the connector and out of the housing lens opening, pulling the string tight when the backplate is fixed in the housing and thus repositioning the connector forwards. However, none of my solutions work very well. I would be very grateful for any suggestions how to solve this problem.

     

    Regards

     

    Bent C.

     

    I've had this problem with my Ike housing and 20D. I now use a bit of black foam wedged between the back of the housing and the connector/hotshoe to keep it pressed in place. Works great.

  3. I have an EOS 5D in an Ikelite housing. When I fit the hotshoe connector of the Ikelite housing to the 5D and assemble the 5D and the backplate and the front part of the housing, there is very little space from the housing roof to the hotshoe connector. In fact, the fit is so tight, that the connector often will be pushed just a little bit out of the hotshoe, leading to erratic flash behaviour. I have tried several solutions (apart from the obvious, to be very careful) such as taping the connector to the hotshoe with duct tape or having a piece of string running around behind the connector and out of the housing lens opening, pulling the string tight when the backplate is fixed in the housing and thus repositioning the connector forwards. However, none of my solutions work very well. I would be very grateful for any suggestions how to solve this problem.

     

    Regards

     

    Bent C.

    Same problem with Ikelite with both my Olympus 8080 and Sony A700, on a whim I cut a small piece of cork (from a slightly used wine bottle) and wedged it as well and works like a champ. I met with an Ikelite rep at the Long Beach scuba show and he said ship it back with an explanation and they'll fix it. I think I can live with the cork and save the shipping costs.

  4. Thanks. I will certainly try that. I have also been offered by Ikelite to send my housing back to get it fixed, but a) I am in Sweden and it is quite a hassle to send the housin, and B) this is shooting season, so I do not want to be without the housing now. And, given the problem, it is not obvious what Ikelite kan do to fix the lack of space, apart from maybe mounting a slimmer version of the connector.

  5. I cut a piece of a hard rubber eraser that fits between the hotshoe connector and the backplate of the housing. That solved my problem. No more lack of connection between the flash and the camera and significantly less weird flash behaviours. Total cost 0.02$. I probably won´t bother to send the housing in to Ikelite for a fix, this solution works well. Thanks for your suggestions.

     

    /Bent

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.