Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

NIKON 105 mm VR with Canon 500D

Started by pieterrutten ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

NIKON 105 mm VR with Canon 500D

7 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I'm using a NIKON 105 mm VR macrolens and thinking about adding a Canon 500D

    close-up lens to get greater magnifications.

     

    Can anybody who uses this combination tell me how many extra millimeters I need in my

    port to house the 105 VR + Canon 500D + stepupring?

     

     

    Thanx!

  2. I think that Alex said recently that he was using that combination . . .

     

    From memory, he uses a Subal housing.

     

    Bruce...

  3. I think that Alex said recently that he was using that combination . . .

     

    From memory, he uses a Subal housing.

     

    Bruce...

     

     

    Yes he does, he advised me to get the canon 500D instead of trying to obtain a

    Nikon 5T. He also warned me for the extra space needed for the stepup/down ring and

    the 500D. (thank you Alex!)

     

    I'm using Ikelite housing and ports, and before ordering the closeup lens I want to

    make sure the combination fits in the port...

  4. Well it only seems fair, as I learned about the excellent 500D here on Wetpixel (from James). The 5T is good too, but hard to find. I shot the 5T on Friday.

     

    I just measured my 72mm 500D with a 62-72mm step-up ring (with a ruler, no calipers) and it is 16mm. So I would leave 17-18mm to be safe as not all step-up rings will be the same, or will screw flush onto lens and dioptre.

     

    Alex

  5. Thanks again Alex!

  6. I just measured 17mm for my canon 250D + 62-58mm step down ring, with my 105mm VR lens...

     

    I use the 20mm extension ring and it works great.

     

    you can save a little money and weight by buying the 58mm diopter instead of the 72mm diopter. but I cant' promise it will work if you ever go full-frame.

     

    Scott

  7. Hi Guys,

     

    I'm interested in who you buy your step-up, step-down rings from?

    Also what brand/company they are from??

     

    Thanks,

    Bruce...

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.