Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

What do you bring when a monster is breathing down your neck?

Started by drsteve ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

What do you bring when a monster is breathing down your neck?

9 posts
  1. On the 4th of July, just before midnight we got the call to evacuate our home in Goleta due the "Gap Fire". I brought my laptop, desktop, spare hard drive, old style print photo albums, dive and camera gear (sans tanks and weights). It is pretty close to what I bring when traveling! Fortunately the fire changed directions and I was able to return home yesterday. It really makes you think about what you really can't live without (not much it turns out). The fire burned through the main power distribution for the city and for several hours everything was black with this hellfire glow on the horizon. This was one of the more surreal experiences of my life.

     

    Here are some images from behind my complex in Goleta. Click on the images for more details.

     

    2635529998_4e336bc682.jpg

     

    2634706011_e9106ecf15.jpg

     

    You can see why the power went out in this last image. The line of lights is a row of cars fleeing the flames.

    2634705975_1809402fa1.jpg

  2. Scary; glad to hear you're OK.

  3. On the 4th of July, just before midnight we got the call to evacuate our home in Goleta due the "Gap Fire". I brought my laptop, desktop, spare hard drive, old style print photo albums, dive and camera gear (sans tanks and weights). It is pretty close to what I bring when traveling! Fortunately the fire changed directions and I was able to return home yesterday. It really makes you think about what you really can't live without (not much it turns out). The fire burned through the main power distribution for the city and for several hours everything was black with this hellfire glow on the horizon. This was one of the more surreal experiences of my life.

     

    Glad you are OK.

    Really scary, we had a similar situation in the Palisades in 1980, what to take, what to leave. House was fine but our church burned down.

     

    Bill

  4. WOW! I always keep telling my wiofe that we need to make sure we have a "grab and go" system for our computer files, documents and cameras. Sounds like you lived it. Hope all is well.

  5. Of course the wife and dogs are #1 in the "packing" list.

  6. Of course the wife and dogs are #1 in the "packing" list.

    I was going to comment on that; compliment you on your priorities, but thought I shouldn't go there. :lol:

  7. Of course the wife and dogs are #1 in the "packing" list.

    Saved me some sarcastic comments :lol:

    Glad everything is ok.

  8. As a la resident I can sympathize. I have all pics an external hard drives I can grab. Most important, I have a fireproof safe for important documents incase I cant get to them. We have three dogs and three cats, which are our first priority, after that, hope for the best

  9. Of course the wife and dogs are #1 in the "packing" list.

     

    Lock both in the trunk for an hour and you'll find only one of them is happy to see you when you open the trunk.

    Edited by ce4jesus
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.