Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Editing MXF EX1 files on a PC

Started by wagsy ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

Editing MXF EX1 files on a PC

19 posts
  1. I decided to try out some raw 1920/1080 mxf EX1 files with EDIUS broadcast.

     

    Dropped the raw mxf clips straight into the bin then to the timeline....instant editing infact I could get 3 streams of raw footage running in real time. :lol:

     

    Running XP with normal single Sata drives, CPU is a 2.4Ghz QUAD overclock to run at 3.2 Ghz.

    CPU is at 80% when playing 3 streams

    I also mixed in some other formats like DV, wmv, QT H.264, HDV, DVD VOB, FLASH swf, and it still played back in real time.

     

    Don't know how many streams I could do if I converted it to the Canopus HQ codec.

     

    If someone has some 1980/1080 24-25 progressive files I can download I'll do some quality test.

    I can supply a link to load it up to my server to get it to me.

    Edited by wagsy
  2. But i thought the EX1 tapeless workflow was a shit format with unreliable back-up options?! :lol::)

     

    I hope Edius are paying you well and giving you lots of free software for going against your 'tape is the best' beliefs and running promotions for them on here. :lol:

     

    It is nice that all software manufacturers are supporting this new format though :lol:

     

    How much RAM do you have in there to compliment the processor? (I know video editing is more processor intensive than RAM intensive - im just curious)

  3. How much RAM do you have in there to compliment the processor? (I know video editing is more processor intensive than RAM intensive - im just curious)

     

    Well from what I've heard and seen about 'cross-dressing' and falling flat on your face after a couple of shandy's i thought you were more 'BI-CURIOUS'

     

    :lol::lol::lol:

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  4. Well I been messing around with EDIUS Broadcast on my cheap home made PC and here is what it can do with native MXF 35Mbit, 1920 x 1080 25p clips straight from a SONY EX1.

     

    EMBEDDED FLASH PAGE HERE (Broadband)

     

    EMBEDDED FLASH PAGE HERE (Lowband)

     

    Specs.

    Windows XP

    CPU = 2.4ghz over clocked to run at 3.2 ghz

    2 gigs ram.

    Single sata drive....no raid...

    EDIUS Project settings is 1920/1080 50i

  5. But I need a $$$ MAC, Editing Raw mxf clips

     

    About time you came around :D

  6. Hi Wagsy,

     

    Is raw mxf editing only for the Broadcast version or also for the pro version?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Peter

  7. You need to upgrade to Broadcast.

     

    I converted the 1920/1080 25p mfx clip to a Canopus HQ 1920/1080 25p clip.

    No quality difference I can see but it's like editing mini DV now...fly's

    Funny thing is I am using a 1920/1080 50i project setting but that don't slow EDIUS down.

     

    I'll load up two full size screen grabs for you to look at.

    Edited by wagsy
  8. So wait, you are editing 1080/25P clips in a 1080/50i? That is right, Edius doesn't have 1080p sequence settings for EX1/XDCAM. So basically it's interlacing progressive clips then deinterlacing on output? The resolution drop and look of pscan was pretty much lost from what I saw on the Luma monitor. It's pretty unacceptable for a NLE to forgo 1080p settings in their broadcast version. Those shooting in 1080p mode on XDCAM EX should consider another NLE which support it.

    If I remember correctly, the Edius guy told me to edit in 1440/1080p settings. The resolution just crashed from what I saw. It's disappointing to see the lack of support from Edius regarding the XDCAM's primary shooting format.

  9. Here we go again ..

  10. Drew you are doing pretty well to pick out the difference between that 1920/1080 mxf grab and the 1920/1080 Canopus Grab? Anyone else see any difference. Yeh the 1440/1080 one is bad. I'll try to grab one from outside of EDIUS from the mxf raw file itself next.

     

    You are correct drew in that is has no 1920/1080 p project setting but from what I can see editing it in a 1920/1080 50i timeline it looks exact like the raw 1920/1080 25p clip I play oustside of EDIUS.? I also don't know why there is no 25p setting.....must be a reason.

     

    I also rendered out a full spec 1920/1080 mxf clip from the 1920/1080 50i timeline, played it oustide of EDIUS and it looks incidental to the raw original mxf one? Don't really know how or why......

     

    Further to my testing.

    I can make 1920/1080 mt2 25mbps clips which can be sent back to a HDV 25mbps camera by the looks :D .

    Making 1920/1080 35mbps mxf clips is very fast and easy as well.

    It maxes out all 4 cores on my Quad.

     

    I suppose if you are one that can pick out these tiny differences then maybe you should be shooting on full HD gear and not these little toys with play codecs which have been designed for the masses to edit on cheap single sata drives and a $1000 PC.

     

    And if you really can pick the difference and want to edit in a true 1920/1080 p project setting go for something else I suppose but remember you have to render it out to something like 1280/720 p or 50i as Blu_Ray does not except that 1920/1080 p format.

  11. Here we go again ..

    LOL Well Peter, facts are facts. That's one reason why other NLEs convert XDCAM EX to an i-frame codec instead of editing raw XDCAM EX. The limitation of the Canopus HQ codec is in the luma resolution which is 1440x1080i. It does not support full raster 1920x1080p in any format except I believe at 24P( ask Wags for up to date info), which is fine for certain applications but lacking for those who shoot in XDCAM EX HQ for progressive scan look. which is about resolution as well as motion. Those who don't normally shoot in pscan won't see the difference or understand the difference.

    Wags, looking at still frame grabs precludes the motion and resolution properties of 25/30P. I've seen the better tests done on a work station with a production monitor and I assure you it's not a "small" difference. Sure if final output is web or DVD, it's not as big an issue but 1080/30p is a broadcast standard. For a "broadcast" pro app not to support a broadcast standard and suggest a crappy lower res solution is pretty lame, especially since we had gone through all this 5 months ago and there's still no update for it. Now I understand Edius will only support 1080/25/30p XDCAM EX in the next version.

    Edited by Drew
  12. I hear ya drew.....1440/1080 25p for pal here don't know for NTSC have to fire up a new project.

    Broadcast HD is too compressed anyhow, every watch it on a large 1920/1080 HD screen.

     

    ........ moving on with more testing.

     

    Here are 4 more grabs....the 1440 ones are better this time.

     

    1. 1920/1080 25p 35mbps mfx in a 1440/1080 25p project

    http://www.hdvunderwater.com/videoclips/1.jpg

     

    2. 1920/1080 25p Canopus HQ in a 1440/1080 25p project

    http://www.hdvunderwater.com/videoclips/2.jpg

     

    3. 1920/1080 25p 35mbps mfx in a 1920/1080 50i project

    http://www.hdvunderwater.com/videoclips/3.jpg

     

    4. 1920/1080 25p Canopus HQ in a 1920/1080 25p project

    http://www.hdvunderwater.com/videoclips/4.jpg

     

    I suggest you open them in photoshop and zoom in.

    All screen grabs come out as 1920/1080 even it the project is set on 1440/1080?

     

    The output mxf file from the 1440/1080 25p or 1920/1080 50i timeline is the exact same size and quality to the original 1920/1080 mxf clip when played outside of Edius :) Trying to get screen grabs from player to post but no luck yet.

     

    You can only out put to mxf when in a 1440/1080 timeline but as I said it comes out at 1920/1080 35mbps file and is exact same quality size and even meg size as the original mxf one. It renders out them very quickly about 1.1. The HDV 1920/1080 25mbps m2t ones I rendered out fire up the HDV camera and look near on the same a the original 1920/1080 mxf as well so that could be another way to archive back to mini DV 25mbps tape for a saftey saftey backup even though its 25mbps

     

    I hope version 5 will also have on screen keyframing like Premiere.

    Edited by wagsy
  13. OKAY here is some more.

     

    To render out from a 45 second 1920/1080 raw mxf clip timeline straight to a 720/576 mpeg2 CBR 8mbps DVD file takes 25 seconds.

     

    Here are two DVD files to look at if ya want.

    46 megs from 1920 timeline

    http://www.hdvunderwater.com/videoclips/crane.m2p

     

    46 megs from 1440 timeline

    http://www.hdvunderwater.com/videoclips/crane1440.m2p

     

    To render out a DVC ProHD P2 clip from the timeline took only 25 seconds which when imported back into the timeline played very easy.

     

    Thats it I'm done :)

    Edited by wagsy
  14. 1440/1080 25p for pal here don't know for NTSC have to fire up a new project.

    Broadcast HD is too compressed anyhow, every watch it on a large 1920/1080 HD screen.

    Wags, it doesn't matter if it's PAL or NTSC. 1080p is a broadcast standard in the US and soon the EBU will be using it as well.

    Ever look at 35mm to HD broadcast? Compare it to 1080p AVCHD to HD broadcast? The differences are monumental is quality. Junk in, junk out.

    Screen grabs are not representative of the actual video image. Look at your 1080p HQ MXF clip on a high res production monitor output on HD SDI or even HDMI or Component and compare the resolution and motion when it's converted to 1080i. Try viewing it from larger format screen like a 40".

  15. Drew you have to remember that these little camera's are for the common folk, small business wedding, events, divers etc so most really don't care if some US broadcast mob won't accept it. And if they are buying one of these little cameras for true HD broadcast work then they are a fool. You and I both know what true HD looks like shot through a good lens on a full res monitor, yes these things are good & getting better but they are not the same..

     

    Any true professional shooting HD doco' should be using HDCAM's or similar and editing on full HD specs NLE and not this highly compresses stuff.

     

    But for the average guy or girl who wants to make quick Blu_Rays, DVD's, multimedia, or web vids it's great.

     

    Here is a 45 second 960/540 QT H.264 @CBR 1500kbps clip I rendered straight out from the timeline in 50 seconds.

    http://www.hdvunderwater.com/videoclips/crane.mov

     

    Here is a 45 second 960/540 wmv @CBR 1500kbps clip I rendered straight out from the timeline in 60 seconds.

    http://www.hdvunderwater.com/videoclips/crane.wmv

     

    Film it.... get it in.... edit.... and get it out quick and that's what this thing does..... And that's what Kelly did today and made another $500 bucks... :)

  16. Wags, for me it's a logical decision about product support. Someone who spends $15k on a camera and housing will want the best NLE they can get at let's say $1k. Edius Broadcast doesn't even have settings for the EX series shooting formats. Even looking at a normal HDTV, I can see the differences between switching from1080p to 1080i and back to 1080p, or with their workaround, going to a lower res 1440x1080p setting. Would anyone want a $1k NLE software package that doesn't fully support their camera when there are other packages (eg. Vegas at half that price with full support, Adobe Premiere Pro($799) I believe has 1080p presets, Avid Media Composer (if you can find a copy of Avid Xpress it's a $500 upgrade to Media Pro))? I don't think so. Hence I wouldn't recommend the Edius Broadcast NLE for the EX series cameras.

    What you are suggesting to do is a workaround for a flaw in the program. Why should anyone pay for a package that requires workarounds? Now for existing Edius owners, they have less choice but they could also switch for the price of an upgrade from Ediu Pro to Broadcast to Vegas which supports XDCAM HD and EX formats fully.

    Edited by Drew
  17. ...the Drew and Wagsy Show :) Now boys settle down and leave room of other folks to jump in :blush:

  18. Ha ha... :) Well if you are going to shoot for 1080p TV and edit in 1080p fine I agree but like I said most folks are not going to output their final shoot as 1920/1080 p? So what are they going to output too... web, DVD or Blu_Ray. It's not even a Blu Ray format so you have to convert it to something else anyhow.

     

    I use it because I want to mix in other formats and not have to render render render, it's got great slow mo and CC and I want to make day DVD's super quick..... sometimes too quick and I feel guilty as to how fast it makes them especially when I hear the other guys are up till midnight making theirs.....that's why I use it and by the time I get a EX3 camera version 5 will be out anyhow.

     

    It may cost $1000 but the time it saves me is well worth it.

     

    Anyhow enough this hey....are you still my friend :blush:

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.