Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Kingsley Holgate and the Scroll of Peace and Goodwill

Started by Drew ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Kingsley Holgate and the Scroll of Peace and Goodwill

4 posts
  1. In my travels, I've met many an adventurer, from cameramen who've done Everest and Antarctic and joined expeditions to remote islands for 2 months with other crews. I have to say meeting Kingsley Holgate, the last true explorer following the steps of Livingstone, at the tail end of his epic journey circumnavigating the African continent probably is the most awe inspiring.

    His latest adventure, call Africa Outside Edge expedition, took him round the entire edge of Africa in 1.5 years. Travelling in a caravan of Land Rovers, he took his family (including wife Jill, son Ross and grandson Tristan) along probably the most life changing journey I will ever imagine. Not only is this a journey of discovery and adventure, it is also a humanitarian effort. The "One Net, One Life" program distribute mosquito nets around the African Continent to control the spread of Malaria, one of the biggest killers on the continent. He also started a library system for various communities along the way and has a container filled with books in Mozambique to improve literacy.

    The most impressive achievement to me is the Scroll of Peace and Goodwill, a book of messages and signatures from people along the route and included signatories like Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu. It was the grandest honor for me to be asked to sign the book as well and be part of this noble journey and cause. It included a handprint of a child in Guinea who were not literate and even the West Saharan President in Exile signed. All sorts of African royalty and dignitaries are in the book. This book will be cherished by all as it binds all that is African in one thick book.

    I wish I could relate the stories he told us over dinner last night and the places he's been (I just expanded my list :lol: ) but suffice to say, this man has lived his life in adventure. Here are a few pics:

     

    DPP07D80709103A43.jpg

    Fellow adventurer John Costello with the legend himself

     

    DPP07D80709103710.jpg

    One of the trucks from the caravan

     

    DPP07D80709110237.jpg

    The page where Nelson Mandela wrote his message in the Scroll

     

    DPP07D80709110605.jpg

    Bishop Desmond Tutu's message in support of this expedition

    Edited by Drew
  2. 2 more pics:

    scroll2.jpg

    The artisan from Mali's inscription

     

    Mohammedscroll.jpg

    A message from the exiled president of Western Sahara who watches over approximately 160,000 refugees removed by the moroccans. The least known humanitarian crisis in the world presently.

    Edited by Drew
  3. 2 more pics:

    scroll2.jpg

    The artisan from Mali's inscription

     

    Mohammedscroll.jpg

    A message from the exiled president of Western Sahara who watches over over 160,000 refugees removed by the moroccans. The least known humanitarian crisis in the world presently.

    What a great honour Drew; just surprised you're not part of their expedition considering all your exploits. :lol:

    Personally I think your signature is more meaningful than either Tutu or Mandela. As a previous fan of theirs, I am astounded at their hypocrisy and deafening silence in the face of all the ongoing tragedies in Africa.

    Edited by loftus
  4. Well both Tutu and Mandela have spoken out against Darfur and Mugabe lately. I think Mandela was strategically quiet to support Mbeki's diplomatic mediatory role with Mugabe (which obviously has failed miserably!).

    No one is perfect, Jeff. Anyhow, their presence in the book has helped the profile of the expedition and the good cause it supports.

    As for me joining an expedition for 1.5 years? I doubt I have the stamina for living on the road like that for that extended period. The longest trip I ever took was 5 mths and I had to have nice hotels thrown in now and then to survive it. Living in a tent on the road for that long?!? I'm not Kingsley and sure don't want to be him :lol:... as great a man as he is.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.