Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Help with a fish

Started by Roger Eve ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Help with a fish

4 posts
  1. post-7921-1215872592_thumb.jpg

     

    Hi All,

     

    I would be most grateful if someone could help with the identity of this fish. It is a video grabbed frame, on a night dive, in the Abu Dabbab area of the Egyptian Red Sea. Taken at 12m depth.

     

    Thank you.

     

    Roger

  2. Hi Roger

     

    I reckon it's a White-spotted Rabbitfish (Siganus canaliculatus), also be aware the spines on the top are toxic

  3. Yep it's a rabbit fish.

  4. Thanks Guys,

     

    I had a feeling it was a rabbit fish from the shape of the mouth, but I couldn't find one with this colouration. However your replies made me look a little further, and I have found a small inset picture in one of Helmut Debilius' books which shows this colouration as "Night Camouflage" in Siganus rivulatus taken in Egypt. This fits in perfectly with the circumstances of my picture.

     

    I never cease to marvel at nature.

     

    Thanks again,

     

    Roger

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.