Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Awesome underwater movies

Started by Cal ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Awesome underwater movies

14 posts
  1. Yo,

     

     

    Just curious as to what people list as there favorite underwater docos or films etc

     

    I own a copy of Deep Blue and watch it maybe once a month or so.

     

    Can any one recommend some other great underwater movies?

     

    Cheers,

     

    Cal

  2. Into the blue

    Grete sea creatures there, usually in blue bikini :D

  3. Big Blue

    BBC Blue Planet

  4. Naturally Ningaloo :D

  5. JAWS 1 :D

     

    When I got certified to dive in 1985, a group of us watched Jaws the night before our first open water dives in the Gulf of Mexico out of Panama City, FL. :P

     

    Kevin

  6. Sharkwater gets my vote.

  7. JAWS 1 :P

     

    When I got certified to dive in 1985, a group of us watched Jaws the night before our first open water dives in the Gulf of Mexico out of Panama City, FL. :D

     

    Kevin

     

    Yo Kevin,

     

    You are a braver man than I. After I was certified in 1975 and heading to the Florida Keys for my saltwater baptism, people would ask me, “Hey dude…†. We used that expression a lot back then. “Hey dude, you gona go divin’ with Jaws? Hah ha!†I said nope! That was also a time when some divers were carrying bang sticks. :D

     

    After reading about C.c. and other sharks, I read Benchley’s little fantasy and saw the movie. Maybe not my favorite, but very interesting is “Blue Water, White Death†circa 1971 from Peter Gimbel.

  8. I tend to watch everything which is available on sky in the UK. I do not watch any other tv apart from sport. I work away from home for a couple of weeks at a time and always have a sky+ hardrive full of underwater stuff. The latest Cousteau series was very good, but for me anything that David Attenbrough puts his name to is well worth watching, the guy is a legend as far as I am concerned. If you can get hold of them, have a look at Jacques Cousteau's dvd's. over 5 hours of docu on his dvd's.

  9. The Life Aquatic.

  10. Cool!

     

    Thanks guys

     

    Theres some interesting names here.

     

    Around my part of the World, Victoria-Australia, theres been this French Film crew cruising around. Supposedly they filmed microcosmos -the insect movie?

     

    any way, I've been to several areas looking for animals and after chatting to the locals I keep hearing about the same film crew! I feel like I'm following a ghost :)

     

     

    1) spider crab aggregations at Rye

    2) weedy sea dragons at Portsea

    3) Leafy sea dragons -South Australia, Wool bay

    4) striped pajama squid- South Australia, Edithburgh

     

    Cant wait to see the footage

     

     

    Cal

  11. Coral Reef Adventure with Howard & Michele Hall

  12. Favorite documentary Films:

    #1 Blue Water, White Death (the one white shark film all others been trying to follow)

    #2 Blue Planet Series

    #3 Howard Hall’s Seasons in the Sea

    #4 Blue Water Hunters – Terry Mass

    #5 In the Company of Whales

     

    Can’t comment of Shark Water having not seen it yet.

     

    Favorite Fiction Films involving diving:

    #1 The Deep

    #2 The Abyss (ending could have been better scripted)

  13. I haven't seen too many UW productions other than the obvious. Though one of my big faves is by Ozzie film maker David Hannon. There is some very unique shooting on Sex On The Reef, I think it was renamed for the US market to Coral Sea Dreaming, or maybe this was a different production?

    It's also sold by hippy dippy shops as a relaxtion video!

  14. My new favorite underwater movies is...

     

    now don't laugh...

     

    The Incredible Mr. Limpet!

     

    Yes, really! If you haven't watched this movie in a long time (it came out in 1964) then its worth renting. I think my parents took me to this movie when I was just a baby and this explains why I am so addicted to the ocean now.

     

    "I wish, I wish, I wish I were a fish"

    Edited by underwatercolours
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.