Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wetpixel Sharks & Dolphins Trip Banter

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 20Posts
  • 20Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel Sharks & Dolphins Trip Banter

20 posts
  1. The Wetpixel Bahamas Sharks and Dolphins trip on the M/V Shearwater leaves on Saturday (19th July).

     

    Hooray. I am really excited. I tested my Subtronics yesterday and 3 out of 4 worked! Not bad, for them.

     

    Not long now until we'll all be staring down the barrel of a lemon shark, as Mr Wiseman is doing here:

    42.jpg

     

    Anyway I just wanted to start a thread to help the group get in touch with each other. I love the beginning of Wetpixel trips - you have to learn two names - the real one and the Wetpixel forum one!

     

    Most of us will be at the Super 8 in North Palm Beach the evening before and we should make some plans to possibly dive that am (either on one of the JASA day boats or at the Bridge). Then take in a spot of luncheon somewhere before joining the boat late afternoon.

     

    I am really looking forward to meeting Jim and all the guys at JASA again.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  2. Boy that Mr. Wiseman looks weird - what's with that one red strobe and one gray one???

     

    Sure wish I could go with you guys - I was going to go with you guys until the little one announced he's be arriving in August.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Boy that Mr. Wiseman looks weird - what's with that one red strobe and one gray one???

    Cheers

    James

    I noticed the strobes also, but what really got my attention was the length of the barrel

    on MR Wiseman's 'snorkel' that he left laying on the sand. . . . :D

    Congratulations on the August arrival Mr Wiseman... :D I think... :P

    Now that you are spending so much time at home, maybe you could finish that report

    of yours on the Tamron 70-200mm zoom... :D

     

    Bruce...

  4. mmmm I wonder if there is any space left on this trip ????????

  5. Boy that Mr. Wiseman looks weird - what's with that one red strobe and one gray one???

     

    I find the lack of head the most worrying.

  6. Enjoy you lucky people!!icono_fotosubzoom.gifshark.gif

     

    We should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there :D

  7. 2009??

  8. Enjoy you lucky people!!icono_fotosubzoom.gifshark.gif

     

    We should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there we should be there :D

     

    I'll smear some o-ring grease of Pedro's port so he doesn't come back with too many shots to make you jealous.

     

    Alex

  9. I'll smear some o-ring grease of Pedro's port so he doesn't come back with too many shots to make you jealous.

     

    Alex

     

    Yes, please, do me that favour! :D

  10. Hi Alex,

     

    I'm very much looking forward to the trip and to meeting everyone.

     

    Still got a mountain of work to get through between now and end of play on thursday though.

     

    Will arrive at Super 8 at around 11pm on Friday, give or take. That of course relies on US Airways being on time (unlikely I suspect).

     

    I've booked onto a 1pm boat on Saturday with JASA for a couple of dives if anyone is interested. But I'm sure plans can change if others are doing some other diving.

     

    Anyway no doubt see you on Saturday morning.

     

    Mark

  11. At the airport waiting to go. :):blush:;)

     

    Alex

  12. The trip leaves later today, but some of us early arrivals (it is always worth turning up early for Shearwater trips) decided to go out and try the local critter dive at BHB. When we arrived at JASA to rent tanks and weights we bumped into Jim (Abernethy) and he said rather than go by car he'd take us over there on the Shearwater. A much nicer way to dive the site. So me, John, Paul, Pedro and Robin jumped on board and had a pre-trip trip on the Shearwater.

     

    And wow was it fantastic. It was just over a month ago that I got back from the Lembeh Strait and in comparison I have to that this place was really rocking. There are so many hairy frogfish I was even refusing to shoot some. I also found lots of seahorses, searobins, octopus, pipefish etc etc.

     

    Hairies were everywhere - and it was the first time I have seen them in the Atlantic

    FL08_am-10034.jpg

     

    The real highlights were the mating action. We saw mating seahorses and mating long arm octopus all on the same single dive. Wow.

     

    Here are the octos (male on top):

    FL08_am-10066.jpg

     

    And here are the seahorses:

    FL08_am-10209.jpg

     

    Pedro got a shot of the seahorses where you can see the bright orange eggs.

     

    The colours of these might be a bit off as I processed them while sitting in the sun - so I couldn't see my screen properly.

     

    Anyway, the diving is so good that Jim has said that we are actually going to do one or two (for the keen ones) dives there this evening after we pull of the dock to start the charter proper.

     

    The moral of the story is always turn up early for JASA trips!

     

    Alex

  13. Very cool; looks like lots of sex going on in South Florida.

    Have fun this week guys; looking forward to some different dolphin action.

  14. Awesome, Alex. I've never had that much action at the BHB. I know it's there, but it hasn't been there for me yet! Or maybe I just suck at critter spotting.

  15. I have to say I am rather legendary at critter spotting! :) Not that it took much skill today. It was kicking off everywhere. And it could be even better this evening. Can't wait. We push off the dock at 7pm. Pizza and frogfish - there is even Wi-Fi at the BHB you can jump on. I think I'm in heaven.

     

    Anyway, we're all here now and so excited about the trip. As always Jim has some great plans for new shots. The plans for the dolphins sound so cool. More on that once we've done it. I'm the only one with Wi-Fi - but everyone else says hello!

     

    Alex

  16. Since I am hanging around waiting to go, I thought I'd post a few more from this morning's dive to give a it more of a flavour of some of what we enjoyed.

     

    Here are some of the hairy froggies:

     

    FL08_am-10128.jpg

     

    FL08_am-10053.jpg

     

    FL08_am-10118.jpg

     

    FL08_am-10027.jpg

     

    And some more of the long-arm octopuses at it:

     

    FL08_am-10102.jpg

     

    FL08_am-10063.jpg

     

    And here is an octo with eggs:

     

    FL08_am-10184.jpg

     

    And some other molluscs doing it:

     

    FL08_am-10177.jpg

     

    This was Jim's favourite find of the dive - which brought back memories of happy times in Alaska with Eric:

    FL08_am-10213.jpg

    Jim liked this guy so much he is now a guest with us on Shearwater.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  17. Happy times in Alaska? I hope he was referring to the Transformers toy, and not to mollusk sex. :)

  18. sniff sniff!!!

  19. We're in West End now - clearing customs - about to embark on adventure! Excitement building on board.

     

    Had nice dives at BHB last night. Everyone got great shots. Chris lost his video light in the current, but I managed to find it a couple of hours later. :)

     

    Here is one I took last night with my Fuji F50 compact - using the internal flash.

    FL08_am-10246.jpg

     

    Its 12 megapixels - which aren't as bad as you might think at 100%. Its an amazing little box of tricks.

     

    Alex

  20. Just back. Have to pack.

     

    Great weather - flat calm everyday - meant we were too busy shooting and could not get online again.

     

    This was ONE AMAZING TRIP. I'll start a new thread when I am home so everyone can share their thoughts.

     

    Alex

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.