Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

A man putting his arm down a 6ft shark's throat

Started by Giles ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

A man putting his arm down a 6ft shark's throat

9 posts
  1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...ed-swallow.html

     

    article-0-01FAFB8300000578-427_468x313.jpg

     

    article-0-01FAFD6800000578-201_468x315.jpg

     

     

    Apart from the obvious wow factor of this story. the fact that we see in the tabloids a positive story about sharks. I am quite amazed by this. The efforts gone to to find, capture control and fix the shark up must have been huge.

     

    I am however most blow away by the ability of the shark to keep going with that thing in it's mouth, gafs aren't small !

     

    I am envisioning it happening in the best possible light though. Rather than a fisherman trying to catch it the fisherman were pulling another large fish onboard and the shark decided to steal it from under their noses.

     

    I would like to think that if a fisherman had got the shark so close to the boat it would have been released knowing it was illegal, not being naive, I just want to believe the best.

     

    Anyways .. I enjoyed the story and the photos so thought I would share !

  2. Great story. Thinking of getting some of that PVC shark armor for my next trip. Though one has to wonder about the accuracy of the report. Headline says 6 foot, picture captions says 3 meters, body of report says 11 feet.

    Edited by DavidScubadiver
  3. [Wow! What a story. Thanks for sharing that....

     

    How scary if the guy reached in the sharks's mouth and felt a hand attached to the gaff! :blink:

  4. Nice to see a shark report where the shark is not hanging from a scale or getting finned...

  5. This poor shark really got hooked. It is good to see sharks in a favorable manner.

     

    News reports have him between 6 to 11 ft! Maybe they measured from tail to end of gaff! :)

  6. While it is great that the tabloids pick up this story, I suspect it was a "copy and paste" from Australian sources - the way the tabloids do.

     

    The shark is a female grey nurse (sand tiger) which are not only endangered in Australia, they are actually very well protected in NSW waters. It does not surprise me at all that our folk would make the effort they did to "save" this shark.

     

    I also suspect that a lot of local punters would see this species of shark as somewhat less dangerous than other species and so would see this as a "feel good" story. The story was presented as such on the ABC (Australian equivalent of the BBC) main nightly news - at least here in NSW. Of course, as with anywhere, there'd still be a lot of people that see shark=bad.

  7. You can see a video of the shark being saved....

     

    Cheap plug for by blog - look to the right for the link.

     

    http://divelove.wordpress.com

    Edited by DavidScubadiver
  8. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...ed-swallow.html

     

    article-0-01FAFB8300000578-427_468x313.jpg

     

    article-0-01FAFD6800000578-201_468x315.jpg

     

     

    Apart from the obvious wow factor of this story. the fact that we see in the tabloids a positive story about sharks. I am quite amazed by this. The efforts gone to to find, capture control and fix the shark up must have been huge.

     

    I am however most blow away by the ability of the shark to keep going with that thing in it's mouth, gafs aren't small !

     

    I am envisioning it happening in the best possible light though. Rather than a fisherman trying to catch it the fisherman were pulling another large fish onboard and the shark decided to steal it from under their noses.

     

    I would like to think that if a fisherman had got the shark so close to the boat it would have been released knowing it was illegal, not being naive, I just want to believe the best.

     

    Giles;

     

    Great story, great photos, and a brilliant use of PVC tubing.

    The first time I saw PVC used to access a shark's stomach

    was by researcher Rocky Strong many years ago.

     

    Rocky could remove & study shark stomach contents (using a fisherman's glove) without killing the shark.

     

    Bill Macdonald

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.