Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Flatworm

Started by Heikki ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Flatworm

6 posts
  1. Hi everybody!

     

    Found this nice looking flatworm from Zanzibar. Anybody have any idea what flatworm this is?

     

    I found it from around 10m. Size was 1"-2".

     

     

    post-21776-1216390891_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Heikki
  2. Very similar to Pseudoceros bifurcus

  3. The lines on this one looks to be much wider, and the orange spot is quite big. I will post another picture later, which shows the flatworm closer.

    Edited by Heikki
  4. Hi Heikki --

    Jim may be right. Some species like Pseudoceros dimidiatus are quite variable in appearance. While P. bifurcus usually does have thin lines & a small narrow orange spot this color pattern shows up occasionally.

  5. " thank you for your submission. Yes, it does have the indications of being the species you mention and although flatworms are subject to extraordinary colour variations I have stacks of P. bifurcus from all over but nothing with such definite black markings. I would reserve my judgment until I see more specimens.

     

     

    FAMILY: PSEUDOCEROTIDAE

     

    COMMON NAME: ZANZIBAR FLATWORM

     

    SCIENTIFIC NAMES: Pseudoceros sp. "

     

     

    That kind of answer I got back from Neville Coleman.

     

    Here's the second picture

     

    post-21776-1216520662_thumb.jpg

  6. Very cool. I've seen images of 3 or 4 of these and never knew if they were just aberrant specimens or something new. Thanks for posting Neville's reply.

    Edited by Leslie
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.