Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

to the medators

Started by scott_nielsen ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

to the medators

5 posts
  1. hi, I'm fairly new to this forum and have received a pm from someone that would like to use my copy righted wording. First of all, I'm thrilled and hope more and more use it, but how do I say ok and let them use it.

     

    One World, One Ocean, Let's Protect It!

     

    thanks, Scott

  2. Hi Scott,

     

    I'm not a medator, but I play one on TV. I think that single titles like that would fall into trademark rather than copyright.

     

    Because you have been using it for a while, that's your trademark. You could even use the TM symbol after the phrase, since you can claim it as your service mark. This won't prevent others from using it, but it might make a statement that you might take legal action in the event its used by someone else (although you probably never would). If you register it, then you get to use the R.

     

    Its nice that this person asked permission, but the problem with giving away such a nice catch phrase is that others will see it and take it on as their own idea. A perfect example is the phrase that way too many resorts use "Come as a guest, leave as a friend". I've seen that at on at least six or seven websites, and it loses its effectiveness.

     

    Perhaps you can give them permission to use is as a quote...

     

    "One World, One Ocean, Let's Protect It!"

    Scott Nielsen

     

    If there are any lawyers who want to jump in and correct me, please do.

     

    Scott, see you in Cozumel in a couple of weeks!

     

    Bonnie

  3. Hi Scott,

     

    I'm not a medator, but I play one on TV. I think that single titles like that would fall into trademark rather than copyright.

     

    Because you have been using it for a while, that's your trademark. You could even use the TM symbol after the phrase, since you can claim it as your service mark. This won't prevent others from using it, but it might make a statement that you might take legal action in the event its used by someone else (although you probably never would). If you register it, then you get to use the R.

     

    Its nice that this person asked permission, but the problem with giving away such a nice catch phrase is that others will see it and take it on as their own idea. A perfect example is the phrase that way too many resorts use "Come as a guest, leave as a friend". I've seen that at on at least six or seven websites, and it loses its effectiveness.

     

    Perhaps you can give them permission to use is as a quote...

     

    "One World, One Ocean, Let's Protect It!"

    Scott Nielsen

     

    If there are any lawyers who want to jump in and correct me, please do.

     

    Scott, see you in Cozumel in a couple of weeks!

     

    Bonnie

     

    see you there Bonnie and thanks, btw, it is registered....thanks Scott

  4. hi, I'm fairly new to this forum and have received a pm from someone that would like to use my copy righted wording. First of all, I'm thrilled and hope more and more use it, but how do I say ok and let them use it.

     

    One World, One Ocean, Let's Protect It!

     

    thanks, Scott

     

     

    Trademarks, Copyrights, Unfair Practices and the rest have many aspects to them (no suprise there) and volumes have been written about them, that being said a couple of quick things:

     

    A trademark to identify and distinguish goods - it is a brand name. A service mark is used to identify services. There are limitations on what can be used in a trademark, for instance descriptive words generally cannot be used. If you went for trademark protection how it would shake out would be determined on how you are using it. "TM" or "SM" for trademarkk of Service mark that has been used pending registation. ® when registered. Even if you have a registered trademark it does not mean you can stop someone else from using it (though generally it does, but prior use can lessen your rights in some instances.)

  5. I think your cause is wonderful and I applaud your efforts. With that said, i had a poster back in the 70's that had the sub line, "One World, One Ocean" with the old ecology sign (if anyone remembers that) placed on top of the planet earth.

    It wasn't trademarked then as the person who made the poster was probably more into his bong than trademark paperwork.

    Check out the following link:

    http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/N...PK:4607,00.html

    or these:

    http://www.OneOceanOneWorld.org/

    http://www.ips.org/columns/column.php?&id=194

    "one world, one ocean" is a pretty well used phrase.

    But keep spreading the word, we need as many soldiers as we can get!

    Edited by MatthewAddison
Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.