I've never sold any of my photos for profit (when I sell prints, all profit goes to charity). And because I realize how hard it must be for you "pros" to make a living in photography, I've tried to be very protective (e.g., with copyrighting) of my work.
Well, I just started entering some photos in contests not long ago, and I'm finding that the language in some of them makes it seem like I'm "giving away" almost all future rights to use/sell, etc. my entries. For example, this is a clause in one contest I was thinking of entering:
The copyright in any Submission shall remain the property of the entrant, but entry into this Promotion constitutes entrant's irrevocable and perpetual permission and consent, without further compensation or attribution, to use, reproduce, print, publish, transmit, distribute, sell, perform, adapt, enhance, or display such Submission for any purpose, including but not limited to editorial, advertising, trade, commercial, and publicity purposes by the Sponsor and/or others authorized by the Sponsor, in any and all media now in existence or hereinafter created, throughout the world, for the duration or the copyright in the Submission.
Do you guys worry about that kind of stuff when you enter contests? Should I just assume it's "normal" and not worry about it? Does it preclude me from entering the same photo(s) in other contests, or selling prints of the photos myself?