Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Lembeh frogfishes

Started by FlyingKiwi ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Lembeh frogfishes

1 posts
  1. I'm having a hard time identifying these frogfishes I photographed a couple of months ago in Lembeh Strait, the variation within species is driving me crazy. :D

     

    Any help would be appreciated:

     

    (1) Sorry I can't provide you with a side view, I'll have to take more ID-style shots next time. Quite large, no warts or filaments, a giant frogfish (Antennarius commersoni), perhaps?

     

    IMG_0809.JPG

     

     

     

    (2) I was thinking this was a painted frogfish with small scabby patches, but looking at it I wonder if the lure isn't too short?

     

     

    IMG_4020.JPG

     

     

     

     

    (3) Again, sorry for not providing a decent side view:

     

    (IMG_4107.JPG)

     

     

     

     

    (4) Lure on this one looks fairly long, and it has scab-like patches, so is this a painted frogfish?

     

    (IMG_4695.JPG)

     

     

     

    (5) Is this "pale ringed dark spot" at the base of the rear dorsal fin diagnostic of a spotfin frogfish (Antennarius nummifer) ?

     

    IMG_4699.JPG

     

     

     

    (6) Night-time, I was hoping that the pigtail lure would help, is this what is meant by a "worm-like lure"? Is it a striped frogfish (Antennarius striatus)?

     

    IMG_7480.JPG

     

     

     

     

    (7) Ouch! Not much of a photo for ID purposes. Any takers?

     

    IMG_7502.JPG

     

     

     

     

    (8) Two little fellers:

     

    IMG_7509.JPG

     

     

    thanks in advance,

     

    Richard.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.