Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

12-24 vs 16mm Fisheye

Started by james ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

12-24 vs 16mm Fisheye

15 posts
  1. A gentleman from the UK has posted some sample shots taken w/ the 12-24DX lens. This lens is selling in the UK and Hong Kong already, but not in the US.

     

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...message=5270164

     

    His name is Peter Ibbotson and I'd like to thank him VERY much for posting these:

     

    12-24@12mm:

     

    17453068.AL906.jpg

     

    16mm Fisheye:

     

    17453069.AL907.jpg

     

    As you can see, the angle of coverage is almost identical, but the 12mm does not have the barrel/fisheye distortion.

     

    So, can someone stop by Jessops and pick one of these up for me? Alex, can you call them please?

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. Well, it looks like Peter isn't a Pbase supporter.

     

    Click this link for the 12-24:

     

    http://www.pbase.com/image/17453068

     

    and hit "Next" to see the 16mm shot.

     

    J

  3. It appears that the 16 mm has a slight edge in width but the difference in distortion is amazing. I wonder why the 16 is wider since it should be like comparing a 18mm to a 24mm. The 12-24 also appears to be a little sharper from what I can tell from these pohotos.

  4. The big attraction is the zoom. It will be nice to have a lens that's wide enough yet zooms through a useful range.

  5. I am very encouraged by the 12-24 images. I was never that serious about it myself because I thought the coverage would be significantly less than a 16mm FE. However, those images suggest the coverage of the 12-24 will be about the same as the FE, plus you have the benefit of zoom, plus you have the benefit of a useful land lens (the FE is rarely any use on land as Andi pix yesterday showed), plus I'll be able to leave the FE on the F100 and 12-24 on the D100 and shoot both side by side.

     

    I'm too late for the shops today. But I'll go into town to check the stats tomorrow. The Jessops website says this. Eight hundred and bloody ninety nine pounds plus a four week wait. I'll see what real people say tomorrow. I am happy to help you out, James. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to walk straight out with one - I guess there will be waiting lists.

     

    I wonder if they will lend me one to assess in the Red Sea on the 22nd?

  6. the lense is awful expensive but the first thing that makes me regret switching to canon (not really.. :) ). I wonder when they will come out with a lense like this. by the way, does anyone know where eric went? I am still waiting for a surface example of his 15mm Fisheye CANON to compare it against the SIGMA.

  7. You'll be waiting a while then Andi - he's in the Bahamas for the month of June I think.

     

    See the wetpixel homepage for details.

     

    Sincerely,

    James Wiseman

  8. I have just checked the price of the 12-24 in Singapore (trying to find an excuse to go Manado) and the official Nikon list price is SIN$1970 (approx £690 or US$1150) so you should be able to get a better deal in the shops. Is any one in Singapore who can confirm that they are in stock ?

  9. One of the cheapest places I know to buy cameras is (surprisingly) in Grand Cayman. US prices but without Tax. Plus you can go diving straight after shopping!

    Alex

  10. I called Herb at Cathy Church's, and he says the 12-24 has been delayed indefinately.

     

    I emailed Yuzo at Naturephoto, and he says June 26.

     

    I'm afraid that even if I do get the lens before I leave, I won't have time to configure a port/gears setup for it.

     

    I leave July 4 for sharks in the Bahamas, and I am seriously doubting that I'll have this lens. I'll take the 16mm fisheye, and maybe borrow a 17-35, but the 12-24 is what I REALLY want!

  11. I have just checked the price of the 12-24 in Singapore (trying to find an excuse to go Manado) and the official Nikon list price is SIN$1970 (approx £690 or US$1150) so you should be able to get a better deal in the shops. Is any one in Singapore who can confirm that they are in stock ?

    There are numerous shops in Singapore who can help you out on availability.

    Try Cathay Camera first.

     

    cathayph@pacific.net.sg

     

     

    We have a Manado trip running in October if you are interested in joining us.

  12. I wonder if they will lend me one to assess in the Red Sea on the 22nd?

    "No Chance"

     

    As Jessops sponsor me to do this kind of thing and I'll be taking it to the Red Sea next week to shoot on an S2

  13. You mean you got a real camera finally Bob? :-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  14. Well the next best thing :)

  15. Seems that my cunning plans are coming to naught. I guess I'll have to start saving...

     

    Good to hear you've got an S2, Bob. Look forward to seeing how you make both the camera and lens sing in the Mare Rosso.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.