Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Diffuser on strobe ...when?

Started by Claustro ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Diffuser on strobe ...when?

3 posts
  1. Hi,

    can someone explain me the usage of the diffuser on strobes?.

    I usually use it 'cos it seems to me I can reach more "soft" results... but it is maybe just a sensation :blink:

     

    Thank you

    Andrea

  2. 1) Diffuse the light to cover more area.

    2) Reduce exposure difference from center to edge.

    3) As you mentioned, soften the light (in combination with exposure settings) to reduce contrast and/or shadows.

     

    How do you know if you need to use them?

     

    1) Shoot without them.

    2) Look at the results.

    3) Decide if using them will give you results that you would prefer.

    4) If yes, then attach them to strobe.

  3. Generally I use diffusers in clear tropical waters where backscatter is less of an issue.

     

    In turbid waters, where particulants can present problems, I prefer not to use diffusers as the strobe beam is better defined and I find it easier to 'edge light' the subject without causing backscatter.

     

    For wide angle shots I also tend to use longer strobe arms in turbid water.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.