Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Bonaire

Started by cdascher ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Bonaire

8 posts
  1. A friend took this in Bonaire. Can't figure it out. Something on the back looks looks like the underside of some kind of invertebrate.

     

    post-1906-1217084429_thumb.jpg

     

     

    Any ideas??? :blink:

  2. Looks like it might be a coiled up basket star with a sea star of some type inside. Might have been just hanging out when his party place rolled up for the morning. Definition of having a rough day. :blink:

    Steve

  3. Yup, thats a basket star!

     

    Looks as though you shined your torch on it for a little too long, and it is 'folding' up.

     

    I find that a red dive light (I put a red gel over the front) works great for these types of animals as they tend not to be as afraid. So I carry my white exploring light (the Fantasea 60 led is awesome) and then I use a smaller red light for closer inspections!

     

    Great shot though!

  4. The "sea star" is the main body. These are classified with ophiuroids - brittle & serpent stars, distinguishable from regular stars by the way the arms are much narrower & distinct from the body. Only at night can you see them fully extended and feeding. by day they curl into tight little balls that look like spagetti clumps & hide.

  5. Cool, thanks Leslie, one of these days I'm going to learn to stop guessing. :blink:

    Steve

  6. thanks all, I'll pass the info along.

  7. Keep guessing Steve. Being wrong (a lot) hasn't stopped me one bit! :blink:

  8. Now to find the shrimp on them and photograph them! :blink:

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.