Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Is the new Wetpixel faster?

Started by echeng ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Is the new Wetpixel faster?

17 posts
  1. Hey guys. We'd love to know if the new Wetpixel forum area is faster than it was before. From Amsterdam, it is *definitely* much faster. Before you answer the poll, be sure you have used shift-reload to grab a new version of all the files, and then browse around for a bit so your cache fills up with commonly-used files.

     

    It would also be great to know where you are browsing from. If WP is particularly fast or slow where you are, please post here with your operating system, browser version, location and connection speed! (e.g. "DSL 6mbps/768kbps, San Francisco")

     

    Thank you! We need your feedback to validate our choices. :)

     

    Sincerely,

    :blink:

    :)

    Edited by echeng
  2. Along the banks of the Tigris River - VSAT 4Mbps up / 4Mbps down.

  3. A bit faster here in the UK and in my opinion, now quite usable. I often used to browse two forums when on WP to give it time to load. Seems I can dispense with that practice now :blink:

  4. Hi Eric/Cor,

     

    My system is waaaay slower.

    If I click onto a page, the 'puter clicks 'done' and then takes forever to actually load the page...

    What have I done wrong??

    Bruce...

  5. Hey bruce, it could be anything. You're on the other side of the world, that may affect things somewhat. It should not be slower than before though, so thats discouraging. What browser and OS? At one point I had a really slow experience and it turned out i had caching turned off in my browser. That was not good. Also, if you're using firefox, disable your addons and see if that helps. I noticed some addons significantly slow down firefox. Here in amsterdam, with all browsers I have here, it's pretty fast. Not quite the other side of the world, but still an ocean away.

  6. Seems a little faster here on variable Brighthouse Networks cable. This am I have 6796K down / 479K up

  7. A bit faster, but I have never really had a problem with WP being all that slow.

     

    6 MBit down 768K up cable, Pacific NorthWest.

     

    When the page is slower to load, it is usually waiting for a response from adserver.wetpixel.com

  8. From Los Angeles, CA Opera browser, P/C, dsl telephone line

     

    It maybe a slight faster, but it never was slow.

     

    It now will not remember my log in info!

  9. Seems to be running about the same from here. Still not as fast as some sites, but def better than it was before the last upgrade/change.

     

    Ryan.

  10. Hey Eric it is much faster back here in India. Much better than before:)

     

    Cheers,

     

    Diggy

  11. There is definitely something going on in Australia. We get consistent reports of slow page loads from there. :huh:

  12. By the way, here's a video that shows Wetpixel speed on broadband in Amsterdam. Firefox 3 is on the left, IE 7 on the right. I'm not clicking on the links at the same time, but you can get an idea of how fast it *should* be.

     

    Note that IE 7 appears to be slower (but might not actually be slower) because it doesn't render the content when it's done. Instead, it fetches the entire sidebar before rendering the content area. That is most unfortunate.

     

  13. I reckon the main site is slightly faster... the lightweight version is heaps quicker and very useful when travelling.

     

    Cheers Guys,

     

    Jon

  14. Seems a little faster here on variable Brighthouse Networks cable. This am I have 6796K down / 479K up

     

    Same w/me I have Brighthouse networks cable too and this WP is noticeably faster.

     

    Where the new WP is really faster I think is on mobile devices like my iPhone, I really notice the difference there. Previously on Edge it was quite slow and now it is pretty fast even on Edge. Of course on 3G it loads almost as fast as my WiFi on the desktop and on WiFi on the iPhone it is only very slightly slower than my desktop computer. Quite fast!

     

    I didn't post speeds for you all - I think you got the idea...... :D Thanks!

     

    (OK, I got curious - as loftus said it is variable because of traffic but in the last 5 minutes for Cable Modem download on home computer I got between 3.92/Mbps high and 1.87/Mbps low; and upload between 582/Kbps high and 135/Kbps low.) I'll check my iPhone 3G too, there is an app for that now I think? (Ok, the app is iNetwork test and sadly it doesn't differentiate between 3G and Edge right now (they promise an update..?) but I'll post WiFi and probably the 3G; for WiFi the iPhone speed is 2.87/Mbps and I'll go outside now to get a 3G (I think?) speed.... 1.35/Mbps it says, of course download only right now)

     

    Let me clean this up for you Eric and try to use your "format".

     

    Mac OS 10.5.4/Safari 3.1.2

    Cable; 1.87-3.92 Mbps down/135-582 kbps up, Clearwater, FL

     

    iPhone 3G ---

    --- WiFi; 2.87 Mbps down

    --- 3G; 1.35 Mbps down, Clearwater, FL

     

    Is that better? :huh:

    Boy this sure is interesting, the things I learn on WP. I learned AT & T has capped the iPhone at 1.4/Mbps on 3G --- even though it is capable of a lot more. Still it is pretty fast but I'll look forward to the time when AT & T lets loose?

     

    Best, Carol

     

    PS and this is with the "non-team-WP" version. I imagine if I joined the "team" it would really smoke for me?

    Edited by seagrant
  15. PS and this is with the "non-team-WP" version. I imagine if I joined the "team" it would really smoke for me?

     

    That's right, Carol! I'm on Team WP, and my forum page load times are between 500ms and 1.2s.

     

    Wish we could make it that fast for everyone. If there was an endowment behind Wetpixel, it would be a no-brainer. :huh:

  16. Hi

     

    Hey no fair, I go away for 3 weeks :) and on my return I find the entire forum has had a facelift...people even have changed their ID photos, so I no longer even no who anyone is!

     

    Yes, here in Bermuda it seems a bit faster - no idea how I go about finding the up/down MPs data, so you'll just have to trust me it is faster on both my home Mac OsX with Firefox and my work PC with IE7

     

    Cheers

     

    Hal

  17. Plenty fast enough here in Brisbane Australia...

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.