Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Question about sun beams?

Started by scott_nielsen ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Question about sun beams?

4 posts
  1. I'm fairly new here and an amature picture taker. I notice that many beautiful pics here, especially for the pic of the week, have beautiful sunbeams. Are some of these added in and if so, how does one do that? thanks

  2. I notice that many beautiful pics here...have beautiful sunbeams. Are some of these added in and if so, how does one do that? thanks

     

    Hi Scott,

     

    You should check out Martin Edge's book "The Underwater Photographer" Third Edition. He has a very good section, as I recall, on photographing sunbeams. The book is almost a "must have" for the underwater photographer, it's that good.

     

    I wasn't sure what you meant when you asked if the sunbeams are "added in". Do you mean are they added in using Photoshop or other post processing software?

     

    Photographing sunballs using digital cameras is a bit tricky, and not as simple as it used to be with film cameras.

    That's where Martin Edge's book is very informative and helpful.

     

    See you in a couple weeks in Coz,

     

    Ellen

  3. I wasn't sure what you meant when you asked if the sunbeams are "added in". Do you mean are they added in using Photoshop or other post processing software?

    Ellen

     

     

    Yes Ellen, that's what I meant, are they done in Photo shop or somewhere. Some look like they are added in? just curious how it's done. Thanks for the tip on the book, I will order it. See you soon, I'm already excited. Scott

  4. Yes Ellen, that's what I meant, are they done in Photo shop or somewhere. Some look like they are added in? just curious how it's done. Thanks for the tip on the book, I will order it. See you soon, I'm already excited. Scott

    Hi Scott,

    i don't think that you can add sunbeams with photoshop, so that they look realistic.

    You can catch the sunbeams with a short shuttertime. It depends strong of the weather and water condition...

    I got them only accidentally :huh:

     

    rachid

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.