Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Backlit shots

Started by Timmoranuk ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Backlit shots

11 posts
  1. I've a two weeker coming up and I'd like to try some backlit macro shots. I have two Z-240's as my 'prime' stobes on 5" arms and I have added a back facing YS-25 on 2 x 12" arms. If I may benefit from your experience and short circuit the learning curve... Many thanks.

    post-13968-1217262305.jpg

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  2. I'd be curious to hear others' advice on this as well. I gave this a try once on a boring dive with some small sea fans. Unfortunately got some nasty backscatter. I thnk should have spent more time getting the background exposed properly, maybe move the backlight strobe down further (out of the frame?) and dialing it down quite a bit or pointing it more across like your setup.

  3. Yup, that close backscatter is the enemy... give it a try an tell us.

  4. I've tried shooting backlit seafans in UK waters and have found the best results to be from using a single strobe to backlight the subject from an oblique angle . Add more strobes and backscatter increases.

  5. I find backlighting a tricky technique and it usually requires quite a lot of fiddling to get right. I would suggest using the backlight strobe unattached - rather than on an arm t get the flexibility you want. I find a lot of trial an error is required for each subject. But it is worth persevering because it is a good way to enliven a relatively ordinary subject, such as this crinoid in Thailand.

     

    t01.jpg

     

    Subject selection is important. Generally you want something that does not move and has a hairy or polypy appearance - to accentuate the backlighting effect.

     

    Alex

  6. I agree with Alex. I like to use an unattached strobe as a slave for backlighting. I use an INON Z-220 as my slave.

    echeng070207_102886.jpg

    Edited by echeng
  7. Backlighting can also be used for larger subjects - to create a surreal effect. Here is a backlit person - this is done commonly to make people's hair light up :-)

     

    48893f192c0ca.jpg

     

    Again, I use a remote slave on a tiny tripod for this (try the little gorilla-pod)

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. Thanks for your thoughts chaps. I'll post my results in about three weeks...

  9. Generally you want something that does not move and has a hairy or polypy appearance...

     

    "polypy" Dr Mustard? "polypy"!

     

    Polypoid, surely!!

     

    Higher education is obviously not what it once was...

     

    ... but I'm sure that you are right. I think another aspect is high contrast between the "polypy" bits and the background. I've taken a few very poor backlit subjects because I haven't thought enough about making the background dark.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  10. "polypy" Dr Mustard? "polypy"!

     

    Polypoid, surely!!

     

    Fair point. :)

     

    Alex

  11. Alex,

    To achieve that wonderful shot, did you have to have a cable attached to the strobe or was it done wirelessly?

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.