Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Star Fish ID

Started by joeyfishes ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Star Fish ID

11 posts
  1. Hi All,

    Shot this in the Gulf of Mexico. Its not in the Human book. Can anyone ID this for me. Latin name would be helpful

     

     

    Thanks

     

    Joe

    post-9620-1217435485.jpg

  2. aha Caribbean critters... I've no idea but wait till Wormgirl gets to see it, she'll know - Wormgirl rox!

  3. :huh: I rock only 'cause I live in earthquake territory!

     

    Looks very similar to pictures I have of Echinaster sentus. Whether our echinoderm curator Gordon Hendler who wrote the book on carib echinos would agree is another matter!

  4. No! You rock coz you're nearly always there with the answer, and so fast too!

  5. No! You rock coz you're nearly always there with the answer, and so fast too!

     

    Just chained to the computer, that's all. :D I need a sugar daddy to whisk me off to the IP so I can actually see these things alive for a change! :huh:

  6. Just chained to the computer, that's all. :D I need a sugar daddy to whisk me off to the IP so I can actually see these things alive for a change! :huh:

    Thanks worm girl. The arms look at little thicker than the images I found of Echinaster sentus. Maybe someone else will chime in

     

     

     

    Joe

  7. Just chained to the computer, that's all. :D I need a sugar daddy to whisk me off to the IP so I can actually see these things alive for a change! :huh:

     

    OK then, can you at least afford the flight to Indonesia?

  8. Sugar daddy to the rescue! :huh: (but I was only kidding) :D

  9. I think Leslie's correct. It looks like a Conical Spined Sea Star (Echinaster sentus).

  10. I think Leslie's correct. It looks like a Conical Spined Sea Star (Echinaster sentus).

     

     

    Thanks all I am going with the before mentioned ID. I have another request (see below) I know its a tunicate but witch one? Is it Clavelina picta ? Also from the gulf off of Tarpon Springs

     

     

     

    Thanks all I am going with the before mentioned ID. I have another request (see below) I know its a tunicate but witch one? Is it Clavelina picta ? Also from the gulf off of Tarpon Springs

    post-9620-1217564097.jpg

    post-9620-1217564164.jpg

  11. Possibly Bulb Tunicates (Clavelina sp.).

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.