Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

New Camera profiles Available for LR2 & CR4.5

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

New Camera profiles Available for LR2 & CR4.5

9 posts
  1. Hi all,

    Along with the new version of Lightroom (2.0) released this week Adobe has beta released new Camera profiles that I think greatly improve the color rendition of the Raw files. The profile seems to have the biggest effect in the yellows and reds. They are called "DNG profiles" (just to confuse us ^_^ ) but you don't have to use the DNG format to gain the improvement. They worked very well with my Canon 40D raw files. Once installed the new profiles show up in the Lightroom Camera Calibration menu. You will see the new Adobe Standard profile and your camera specific profiles. LR reads the metadata and offers the correct camera options. Just select one of them from the pull down instead of the old ACR 4.4 and your done. The Adobe page that describes the new profiles and how to get them is the Adobe labs site linked here.

    The new camera specific profiles are so far only released for the Canon and Nikon cameras. I'm far from an expert but I'm loving the new Lightroom 2.0. In theory the new profiles will more accurately represent the intention of the camera design team, we get to take it from there. Here are three versions of a flamingo tongue image from Bonaire last month. Jeff took this one using the 400D and his dual 110's. After slight adjustments for exposure on the baseline image I selected two other profiles; the new Adobe Standard beta 1, and the Camera faithful beta 1. ( the Nikon names will be different, they match the photo styles...landscape portrait, etc. for each manufacturer ) I see a marked difference on my screen. I believe this will make it much easier for the rookies like me to get better images from the raw files without having to resort to a lot of work in curves, etc. Let me know what you think.

     

    The baseline image Canon 400D - 60mm, ISO 200, f18, 1/125s

    post-4526-1217611739.jpg

     

    The Adobe standard profile

    post-4526-1217611766.jpg

     

    The Camera faithful profile

    post-4526-1217611708.jpg

     

    Have fun!

    Steve

  2. To checkout the oranges from the new profiles I'm using this shot from Bonaire I took with the 40D. Iso 100, f8.0, 1/200, dual ys-250's dialed way back.

     

    This is the baseline shot with the old ACR4.4 profile and The new camera specific landscape profile

     

     

    post-4526-1217617484.jpg post-4526-1217617508.jpg

     

     

    I was surprised by how the blue changed too. Going to have to play with these awhile. ^_^

     

    Steve

  3. I see significant differences in yellows and reds with the new Adobe Standard profiles plus there are a number of additional profiles that appear to correspond to my camera as well. Looks like Adobe is addressing the most common color complaints with their converter. I've always calibrated ACR to address the orangey reds in the past.

     

    Equally interesting is Adobe's release of a profile editor. According to Adobe, camera calibrations that used to take hours using scripts can now be done more accurately in seconds using the profile editor plus it does away with the clumsy process of importing camera settings into Lightroom. Very interesting...

    Edited by craig
  4. Steve, just FYI. Many browsers do not understand color profiles, and will thus show something completely wrong ^_^

  5. Steve, just FYI. Many browsers do not understand color profiles, and will thus show something completely wrong :)

    Cor,

    You lost me there. If I make a mod to the raw file using the profiles in Lightroom and then "export" the file to a Jpeg. When I then post the jpeg file won't the changes be kept independent of the browser?

    Is that a kind way to try to tell me the images I posted look like $*! ? ^_^

    Steve

  6. Just ran the DNG Profile Editor. It's extremely fast and generates color tables to produce accurate matches for the ColorChecker chart but it is very sensitive to illumination. Doesn't do everything I need but still looks pretty handy. Looks like ACR users are about to get happier about their color. ^_^

     

    I think there's some confusion between color spaces and ACR profiles.

  7. Craigs right, i misunderstood ^_^ Thought you were trying to show the color differences by appending some sort of color profile. My bad.

  8. Craigs right, i misunderstood :) Thought you were trying to show the color differences by appending some sort of color profile. My bad.

    Boy there's a role reversal for ya. :) If your confused we're all in a heap of trouble. Maybe we should all take a break and have a nice beverage. Hey,.... has Eric ever called a Wetpixel group toast? ^_^

    Steve

  9. I'm glad I don't have to try to recreate the Landscape setting in Lightroom. The Camera Profiles beta eliminates my need to use Canon's proprietary software almost completely. Very excited about this new update.

     

    Thanks for posting the images.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.