Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Leak Problem with Olympus 720 SW

Started by Torch ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Leak Problem with Olympus 720 SW

7 posts
  1. Dear Forum Members,

    I bought an Olympus Stylus 720 SW about two years ago and I have taken it to the beach and snorkel trips a few times.

    This last sunday, I was swinning on the beach and the camera stopped working.

    I washed it with drinking water, dried it with a towel and opened it up to notice that salt water had leaked inside.

    There was seawater (not flooded) in both openings: battery + USB port.

     

     

    • Has anyone encountered or heard of leakage problems for the Olympus Stylus 720 SW?
    • Has anyone replaced the rubber seals in order to avoid their natural deterioration, that is,done some preventive maintenance on the seals? How often?
    • Do you think I have been unlucky? Do you recommend buying a new one?

    Your advise is welcome!

     

    Notes:

    (I dont think it was a problem of closing the lids properly as they snapped perfectly well)

    (I dont thik it is a matter of having tested the camera to its limits as my diving is more like swimming, and occasional)

     

     

     

     

  2. It's called a 'flood'

     

    If it goes into the ocean eventually it will flood to some degree.

     

    Welcome to the "Club"!

     

    When was the last time you removed the 'O' rings, cleaned and regreased?

  3. It's called a 'flood'

     

    If it goes into the ocean eventually it will flood to some degree.

     

    Welcome to the "Club"!

     

    When was the last time you removed the 'O' rings, cleaned and regreased?

    Okuma,

    thanks for your reply. In fact I had never done any maintenance on the "o-rings", never removed nor greased them.

    Can you provide some tips on the maintenance I should do on the (next) camera?

    Do you think my flooded camera can be saved?

  4. Torch....sorry to hear about your misfortune. you can try cleaning things up inside the camera but general salt water kills electronics even after a minor flood. Yes, you should clean and grease your orings before each use.

  5. Torch....sorry to hear about your misfortune. you can try cleaning things up inside the camera but general salt water kills electronics even after a minor flood. Yes, you should clean and grease your orings before each use.

     

    I am sorry too, although saying it all, the camera took very poor pictures with flash, so I have hopes that Olympus might have solved that in the newer versions.

     

    On the grease matter:

    • What type of grease should I use? Where can it be purchased?

    thanks!

  6. Usually the proper grease comes with the housing along with a spare oring, etc.

     

    A bigger issue is whether or not you had rinsed it carefully in fresh water after each use. Salt crystals are abrasive.

     

    I have an exensive article of housing maintenance on my blog here:UW Camera Floods: Avoiding the High Water Mark

     

    Jack

  7. Usually the proper grease comes with the housing along with a spare oring, etc.

     

    A bigger issue is whether or not you had rinsed it carefully in fresh water after each use. Salt crystals are abrasive.

     

    I have an exensive article of housing maintenance on my blog here:UW Camera Floods: Avoiding the High Water Mark

     

    Jack

     

    Jack, I left you a comment after reading your interesting article on housing maintenance.

     

    Basically I am interested to hear your experience on waterproof cameras (Pentx Optio WP series and Olympus SW series) and their maintenance / servicing.

     

    Thanks!

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.