Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Worm for Leslie

Started by Annediver ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Worm for Leslie

6 posts
  1. post-3023-1218030919.jpg

     

    Hi Leslie and all,

     

    A friend's mom took this photo yesterday in Lake Worth Lagoon, Palm Beach, Fl. in approximately 12 feet of water.

     

    Is it a Nemertine worm?

     

    Thanks, Anne

  2. Hi Anne -- You've got me stumped on this one. Not a nemertine, doesn't resemble any of the sipunculans I know for the area, maybe a mollusc siphon????? Hopefully Jon the Nemerterminator will catch this thread. Anyone else know?

  3. Leslie mentioned the only two options I can imagine. I am inclined to think sipunculan because it's a bit more wrinkled than I would expect for a gastropod siphon, but that's a guess and I'm not very familiar with gastropod siphons.

    --Jon

  4. Leslie mentioned the only two options I can imagine. I am inclined to think sipunculan because it's a bit more wrinkled than I would expect for a gastropod siphon, but that's a guess and I'm not very familiar with gastropod siphons.

    --Jon

     

     

    Thanks Jon and Leslie,

     

    Here is one more photo my friend sent me.

     

    post-3023-1218046240.jpg

     

    Does this help?

     

    Thanks Anne

  5. Since it hasn't changed length, I would now be inclined toward this crab having a strangle-hold on a gastropod siphon.

    --Jon

  6. Since it hasn't changed length, I would now be inclined toward this crab having a strangle-hold on a gastropod siphon.

    --Jon

     

     

    "C'est la vie" Thanks Jon

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.