Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Subal dome + Canon 5D

Started by Daniel P ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Subal dome + Canon 5D

5 posts
  1. Hi!

     

    I've got a DP-FE3 subal dome but Subal recommend

    DP-SWB/3 for my Canon 17-40 on their home page, does anyone know if I can use

    DP-FE3 for Canon 17-40? if so, what extension do I need?

     

    /Daniel

  2. I just had a look at the Subal port recommendations for the EF17-40 / 4L USM and 5D and they are recommending a 50mm extension with the DP-FE2 dome port:

     

    http://www.subal.com/en/portselection/port...;markennummer=1

     

    As I understand it the DP-FE3 has superseded the DP-FE2 and only differs from it in having a modified bayonet mount. Here's a quote from the Reef Photo web site:

     

    DP-FE2 is a discontinued product, and designated the second version of Subal's universal "fisheye" dome port. DP-FE3 is the exact same piece of glass with a "third generation mount" that is slightly redesigned to work with various port adapter rings.

     

    Therefore, I believe the DP-FE3 with a 50mm extension will do the job.

    Edited by Gudge
  3. Yes, DP-FE3, EXR-50, and a plus +2 diopter is the best combo I've used.

  4. I second that. I use it all the time in the pool. Can't use the diopter though because I'm in and out of water, but I bet it helps.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. I second that. I use it all the time in the pool. Can't use the diopter though because I'm in and out of water, but I bet it helps.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Thanks for your quick replies

    I checked Subal's home page

    and they are writing this:

     

    DP-FE2 + EXR50

    DP-SWB + EXR33

    (DP-SWB + EXR 40 -Full size chip)

     

    so if I understand this : DP-FE2 + EXR50 should be for cropped cameras

    and (DP-SWB + EXR 40 -Full size chip) for full-frame cameras

     

    this makes me little puzzled that you can use DP-FE2 + EXR50 on a full-frame camera, or am I missing something here?

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.