Manuals are not the be all and end all and often can be quite confusing to the newly initiated, especially when different terminologies are used for the same item or technique. Apple manuals tend to be especially screwed up which is why many of the supplemental books from Peachpit Press and training DVDs from Rippletraining and others are in such high demand. If this forum is designed to explore, assist and debate then saying RTFM creates an atmosphere of put downs and intimidation. That's just not right.
Scuba SC, when you log and capture in FCP, you can write in any descriptions you choose during the logging period. You can use labels for color coding as well. If you wish to add a description after all has been captured, just drag out the Browser window and you will see a comments column. Click there and write what you wish.
Your entire browser can, as Drew said, be exported for archive or printing or you can even just take a screen grab of it and print it out or store it.
As for manuals, I highly recommend the Lisa Brenneis book from Peachpit press,"Visual Quickpro Guide to FCP6" This is the finest FCP reference book out there. For a tutorial type of book, I recommend from the Apple Pro Training Series for FCP6 by Weynand. This later book is also what Apple bases their Pro certification exams on as well.
If I can also suggest you take a look at the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org websites which are FCP based editing sites with tons of tutorials, articles and reviews. The kenstone site, in particular has a healthy discussion forum. I try to help often on it, but when there something I am stuck on, I post and usually get an answer within an hour or two.
Good luck,
Steve