Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Which Ikelite port ?

Started by arfy ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Which Ikelite port ?

4 posts
  1. Hi

     

    I'm looking at getting a Canon 40D and Ikelite housing (can;t afford a more expensive one!) and am thinking of getting a Tokina 10-17 as my wide-angle lens.

     

    The question I have is, which port do I get, the 6" or 8" ?

     

    The reason I enquire is that I gather the 8" may be more vulnerable to getting knocked off the housing and I'm wondering what experiences people have had of either port.

     

    If I go for the 6", is vignetting an issue even with the port shade removed ?

     

    Thanks for any comments

     

    Ben

  2. The reason I enquire is that I gather the 8" may be more vulnerable to getting knocked off the housing and I'm wondering what experiences people have had of either port.

     

    Ben

     

    I think the consensus would be - get the 8"

     

    As for your quote, has anyone ever had this happen? I think there's a worry about the port shifting slightly in the mount, it's recommended that you check it right before hitting the waves. But "knocked off", I don't know.

     

    Rinjani

  3. I think the consensus would be - get the 8"

     

    As for your quote, has anyone ever had this happen? I think there's a worry about the port shifting slightly in the mount, it's recommended that you check it right before hitting the waves. But "knocked off", I don't know.

     

    Rinjani

     

    I have only had one Ikelite slr housing leak at the port / housing joint. This was with a macro flat port while it was in a rinse bucket while I was getting out of the water. I think macro ports are more likely to flood at the surface. This is because they stick out further, so there is more levearge against the seal if lateral pressure is placed on the front of the port. Once you rig is at depth, I think there is very little chance of a port / housing separation. I have used both the 8" and 6" ort, and I get Much better results with the 8". Also, I now never let the dive master place my rig in the rinse tank while I am getting out of the water!

  4. Hi Ben,

     

    There has been a couple of threads here on this recently, probably worth hitting the search engine for more info - but consensus is that the 8" is the way to go.

     

    Paul C

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.