Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

D300 help please

Started by ralphy ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

D300 help please

6 posts
  1. I've just received my D300! :chatterbox:

     

    Thing is, I'm finding it's 400+ page instruction manual pretty overwhelming to be honest; not helped by the fact that I was recently diagnosed with a memory disorder which makes reading and retaining large amounts of written information difficult. So I'd be very grateful for any tips on setting up the numerous options available, specifically for underwater use.

     

    I intend using it initially with a 10-17mm Tokina and 60mm Nikon, any advice or suggestions from the users of this camera would be much appreciated.

     

    Thanks in advance.

     

    Ralph

  2. Hi Ralph,

     

    The Nikionians web site has a spreadsheet with camera setting on:D300 camera settings I found it helpfull

  3. Hi Ralph,

     

    The Nikionians web site has a spreadsheet with camera setting on:D300 camera settings I found it helpfull

     

    Thanks for that, most interesting. It shows 4 'set-ups'; Point and Shoot, Landscape, Portrait, Sports: I guess what I'd really like is a 5th one = underwater! Did you find one of the choices most applicable for diving?

     

    R

    Edited by ralphy
  4. Hi, congrats on a good choice! :bananashark: The camera certainly does have a lot of menu choices, and half the fun of shooting with it the first few times is figuring out the possibilities! In the meantime, before you shoot anything important, maybe set in "shooting menu" RAW 14-bit (+jpegs) and large - so if you do take a pic worth keeping while practicing, at least you can post process. Then, practice x3 on surface, and go through the custom setting menu while you're shooting. Just getting to know your camera this way would serve you well uw, and this kind of in-the-field visual learning may be most helpful to you as opposed to copying specific personal settings others use - which varies with subject, lenses, lighting etc. etc. Another housing to consider is the Seatool, as you get optical sync with Inon z240 strobes which may make your uw photo life a lot easier. Let us know how it goes! :lol:

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.