I have developed transient and fairly classic symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome during my last several trips. These symptoms take weeks to resolve. This was particularly severe after doing 30 dives in 6 days on the N Sulawesi Aggressor back in November. It took until February for my symptoms to resolve completely. My symptoms involved the median nerve which is locted in the wrist and supplies sensation to the thumb, middle, and index finger, The principle symptom was severe burning of thr hsnd and decreased sensation in affected fingers.
I attribute this injuty to my heavy u/w photo rig as I was carrying which included a heavy ikelite 40dh housing and 2 heavy zIkelite ds125 strobes mounted with ULCS arms. Moving this sbove water is tough but this setup is also heavy under water. This is a fairly heavy rig that has high drag underwater. Manipulating the rig underwater often requires considersble wrist flexion that I believe is directly compressing and injures the median nerve.
On the liveaboard boat I was last on, one other passenger had the same symptoms from his heavy video setup.
Has anyone else experienced this? Its not reported in the medical literature that I m able to find.
Thanks,