Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Orangeside Goby? (Bonaire)

Started by tubino ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Orangeside Goby? (Bonaire)

8 posts
  1. I'm still going through the photos from my trip, and I think I have an orangeside goby, which is "uncommon". Now due to the wonders of digital photography, I can shoot first and ask questions later.

     

    357104717_Aj7j5-M.jpg

     

    Zooming in a bit:

    357104704_SJU9V-M.jpg

    Edited by tubino
  2. Only just spotted this - don't know why there have been no replies. Agree with your i.d. - never seen one of these. Nice pic.

  3. The are not that uncommon on Bonaire, but they are hard to spot. I only "found" two on my last trip. One I actually noticed underwater, another when I was going over pics and one was in the frame without me realizing. You're images are surely a lot nicer than mine though. Great shots.

     

    bart

  4. Yep. Correct ID. On Cayman they tend to be common on the sheltered sites - West side - and rare on the more exposed sites of the island.

     

    Your one seems to be a red-sided goby!!

     

    Alex

  5. that is a great find.

     

    spectacular little fish :)

  6. Your one seems to be a red-sided goby!!

     

    Thanks to all for the positive comments! Yes, it was on the reddish side of orange!

     

    I do not think I would have noticed this fish had I not been using a fixed 90mm lens. I found it extremely educational for me to take a dive first thing in the morning at Eden Beach, usually going no deeper than 25 feet, and moving very slowly (if at all!). In fact I can't think of a better way to start the day.

  7. Great shots, those little guys are hard to get.

  8. What a beautiful little cutie- well done!!

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.