Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

A wreck mystery - what is written on the face?

Started by drsteve ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

A wreck mystery - what is written on the face?

6 posts
  1. Hi all. Last month I dove the wreck of the fishing boat Transpac in British Columbia, Canada. While I was busy photographing the wreck, I was completely oblivious to the face that someone installed on the bow. I was vaguely aware of the white disk, but it wasn't until I was back on the ship reviewing my photos that someone asked me if I had seen it. The answer was no, but my camera had. The wreck itself is spectacular. It is sticking straight up in the water column, against a sheer wall, balanced with its stern on a small ledge at 250ft. The top of the bow is at 115ft and the white face is at the tip of the bow. The superstructure sticks out into the channel. Here is an image of the bow

     

    2757506253_84c79f6158.jpg

     

    and here is the wheelhouse, which has all of its glass intact.

     

    2761902044_7f3dfdee58.jpg

     

    Here is the mystery. When I was reviewing my photography, I discovered a web address written on the face, but I can't quite read it. It says something like www.xxxxxshark.com

     

    2791593452_f2178a4d97.jpg

     

    Can you figure it out? You can click on the images for more details, but the writing is at the limit of my camera's resolution.

  2. Hmm...it looks like 'canadashark' which would also fit the context, but the url does not exist... perhaps written under narcosis? Nice looking wreck pix, by the way.

  3. Looks like www.adoptashark.com to me.

    Edited by paradicio
  4. Bing, bing, bing. We have a winner. Jim Patterson has a much better image of this plaque taken a month before I dove on the wreck.

     

    transpac_5gallonlid_www.jpg

     

    It reads a www.scubashark.com which is a dive operator based on Vancouver Island. Thanks to everyone for your help

  5. I know this is off topic but, I really dislike people doing this type of thing to shipwrecks. They may be doing this for a lot of different reasons, in this case advertising, sometimes it for humour. I think it cheapens the shipwreck and lessens the dive experience. In this case, it also could have ruined a great image that someone (drsteve in this case) may have traveled a very long distance to try to get.

     

    We have something very similar to this happening on a wooden sailing shipwreck in the St. Lawrence River near Brockville, Ontario (the name of which, escapes me right at the moment). It seems some divers have taken to decorating the wreck with lots of odds 'n' ends like garden gnomes and little signs that they obviously didn't need anymore. While it may have seemed like a great thing to do at the time, the other thing that needs to be remembered about this particular shipwreck is that it also happens to be someone's grave.

     

    Need I say more...

  6. I know this is off topic but, I really dislike people doing this type of thing to shipwrecks. They may be doing this for a lot of different reasons, in this case advertising, sometimes it for humour. I think it cheapens the shipwreck and lessens the dive experience. In this case, it also could have ruined a great image that someone (drsteve in this case) may have traveled a very long distance to try to get.

     

    We have something very similar to this happening on a wooden sailing shipwreck in the St. Lawrence River near Brockville, Ontario (the name of which, escapes me right at the moment). It seems some divers have taken to decorating the wreck with lots of odds 'n' ends like garden gnomes and little signs that they obviously didn't need anymore. While it may have seemed like a great thing to do at the time, the other thing that needs to be remembered about this particular shipwreck is that it also happens to be someone's grave.

     

    Need I say more...

     

     

    Its graffiti, from one point of view.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.