Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Black Water Dive in Hawaii- shooting tips?

Started by heymo ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Black Water Dive in Hawaii- shooting tips?

6 posts
  1. Hi all. My husband and I leave Wednesday for the Big Island, and one of our dives will be a black water dive to see bio luminescent creatures. This will be our first black water dive, though not our first night dive. Any tips on getting good shots?

  2. Hi all. My husband and I leave Wednesday for the Big Island, and one of our dives will be a black water dive to see bio luminescent creatures. This will be our first black water dive, though not our first night dive. Any tips on getting good shots?

     

     

    Well, we're back from our Black Water dive. Here's my advice- make sure you take a good strong focus light, that you can attach to your camera. Set your strobe to shoot from either directly above or below your subject, and your ISO at the highest possible speed. And have someone else light the subject with their light as well. Good Luck!

  3. Hi Heymo,

    Do you have any pics you can share? Please tell us about the dive and the operator. Depth, location, etc. I've always wanted to try the night time pelagic stuff. Hope you enjoyed the trip.

    Thanks,

    Steve

  4. Yes, it would be great to see some of your results! I'm quite curious to see what you ran across. Please share

  5. Will do. They're in raw format right now...give me a couple days and I'll upload a few.

  6. I can give you the info about dive operator, depths, etc. We went out with Big Island Divers, I believe they are one of only 2 operators on the Big Island that do this dive. (The guy that came up with it used to work for Big Island, now works for Jack's Dive Locker)

     

    You're tethered to the boat about a mile offshore near the entrance to the harbor. (Honokohau Harbor, that is.) There is a rope with a 4 pound weight put in the water, then you're tethered to that rope. It sits at about 45 feet, though you can move up and down the rope fairly easily, giving you quite a bit of maneuvering room. You have a good sized flashlight, and off you go. It doesn't take long for stuff to start showing up...and I can't even begin to describe what you can see. I will include a shot taken by our divemaster, Josh...if you get a chance to do this dive...by all means DO!post-21930-1220925364.jpg

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.