Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Set focus technique

Started by Panda ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Set focus technique

2 posts
  1. Does anyone regularly set the focus then move the camera into the focussed position to overcome slow autofocus.

     

    Is this possible with CP500? Can you use this method accurately enough from the screen?

  2. I did that with my G2 quite a bit.

     

    Primarily in the following cases.

     

    1: When shooting macro I almost always prefocus, even with my film set up as focus lock seems to have a lot of trouble in low light.

     

    2: Anytime I am shooting in a low contrast or dark setting. unless you are using a modeling light to help with aiming and focus.

     

    Remember that with a consumer digital you get the advantage (depending on what your trying to do) of a lot more DOF at a given f-stop than with a film SLR or a digital SLR.

     

    I am guessing, that you can achieve this with your camera in one of two ways.

     

    1: You can probably switch to manual mode, whoch will guarantee it works, but if you cant switch back and forth with housing controls your stuck wit whatever you pck when you put it in the housing.

     

    2: What I did was, when I saw a subject, I would estimate the distance to the subject and prefocus bt pressing the shitter 1/2 way, focusing on a nearby rock. Than, while holding the shutter 1/2 way, I would move to the proper distance from my subject, and fire. this works, but you will need to practice to get the feel of how hard to press the shutter without tripping the camera shutter.

     

    Good luck!

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.