Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Trying to ID This Chiton

Started by dwashbur ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Trying to ID This Chiton

6 posts
  1. We found this chiton at the Point Lobos Marine Reserve near Carmel, California, a few days ago. My buddies and I are usually pretty good at identifying chitons, but this guy has us stumped. We haven't been able to find anything with those characteristic blue spots. We know the spots are part of the animal because there was another one just like it nearby. Can anybody help?

     

    chiton.jpg

  2. We found a couple more at roughly the same location a few days later. Here is another picture. Still no ID on these guys...

     

    chitons.jpg

  3. Hi Dusty -- You must be desperate to have wandered over here from the NW. ;) Why don't you contact Doug Eernisse at Cal State Fullerton? He's a chiton specialist. http://biology.fullerton.edu/deernisse/

  4. Hi Dusty -- You must be desperate to have wandered over here from the NW. :) Why don't you contact Doug Eernisse at Cal State Fullerton? He's a chiton specialist. http://biology.fullerton.edu/deernisse/

     

    Dusty?????? ;) Yeah, so far nobody at NW or at the norcal forum of SB has been able to ID it. I posted it both places. I'll check this specialist out, thanks!

  5. Oops, my bad! ;) I'm better at critters than people. You & Dusty seem to be in every other post at NWD, guess you kinda blended in my memory.... :)

    Edited by Leslie
  6. Oops, my bad! ;) I'm better at critters than people. You & Dusty seem to be in every other post at NWD, guess you kinda blended in my memory.... :)

     

    No problem. I can think of worse names to be associated with!

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.