Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Leaf fish or Wasp fish

Started by Heikki ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Leaf fish or Wasp fish

7 posts
  1. Hi all

     

    What is this fish? I'm pretty sure it's Indian Waspfish, but my friend is saying it's Spiny Leaf Fish. Who's correct, or are we both wrong/correct. Picture taken in 7-8 meters, fish was about 5-7 cm long, and waving like a dead leaf. location Raya Yai, Thailand (close Phuket)

     

     

    post-21776-1219922099.jpg

     

     

     

    Thanks for all the help.

     

    Heikki

  2. What is this fish? I'm pretty sure it's Indian Waspfish, but my friend is saying it's Spiny Leaf Fish. Who's correct, or are we both wrong/correct.

     

    Not sure about common name but it's an Ablabys macracanthus (which I call a spiny waspfish, go figure...).

     

    Great find for Phuket area, btw.

    Edited by Vie
  3. And what do you think about the white face? I've been checking fishbase.org, but haven't found anything looking 100% like this. Indian Ocean Reef Guide by Helmut Debelius have a good photo of indian wasp fish, that looks like this but without the white face. Second thing bothering me is the fin going forward and not up, like on the pictures i found on the internet. Could this be a juvenile? size is too big to be a juvenile?

     

    that was first one I have ever seen, Had around 30 divers around me doing skills when I spotted this one. Nobody else saw it, except my group of three. ;)

     

    Heikki

  4. And what do you think about the white face? I've been checking fishbase.org, but haven't found anything looking 100% like this. Indian Ocean Reef Guide by Helmut Debelius have a good photo of indian wasp fish, that looks like this but without the white face. Second thing bothering me is the fin going forward and not up, like on the pictures i found on the internet. Could this be a juvenile? size is too big to be a juvenile?

     

    Now that I've done a bit of research, the white face and the location is leading me to think it's perhaps a cockatoo waspfish (Ablabys taenianotus). Brown body/fins with white face is a common colour variation for this species. The fish can flex the dorsal fin so the fins can be "forward" or "going up."

     

    Ablabys macracanthus and Ablabys taenianotus are very very similar looking; Ablabys taenianotus having a higher number of dorsal spines (17 versus 15).

     

    Source: Allen, Steene, Humann and DeLoach. Reef Fish Identification, Tropical Pacific. Jacksonville, 2003. p. 381.

    Edited by Vie
  5. Thanks Vie, now that I've done more research based on your suggestions I also think it's a cockatoo wasp fish.

  6. Looks like a Cockatoo waspfish to me... Oh and welcome aboard fellow countryman!

  7. I agree that it's a cockatoo waspfish, and the facial coloration doesn't alter that; I've seen them with a variety of quite different facial color than body color. Nice find!

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.