Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Found in Cozumel

Started by ornate_wrasse ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Found in Cozumel

3 posts
  1. I took a picture of this in Cozumel last month, but am having trouble identifying it.

     

    Your input would be most welcome.

     

    Thanks!

     

    Ellen

     

    081508_Unidentified.sized.jpg

  2. It's the egg case of the West Indian Chank (similar to a horse conch). Turbinella angulata

     

    Jeff Slimmon caught one in the act of laying the egg case (used with permission):

     

    chankjeffslimmon2002.jpg

    Edited by jlyle
  3. Thanks Jim for the ID on the image.

     

    And a big thanks to Jeff for letting you use his image. I'm going to have to research this critter and learn more about it.

    It was the very first time I had a chance to see it while diving.

     

    Hope we get to dive together again soon!

     

    Ellen

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.