Skip to content

Copyright Issues, Non-Payment, Fraud, Theft / Archived topic

Inon Z-240 in San Juan

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Inon Z-240 in San Juan

10 posts
  1. I have seen considerable discussion on this website about 'losing' equipment in San Juan, PR airport transfers.

    I am wondering if there is any connection with that discussion and the 2 Inon Z-240's that are 'nearly new' and for sale on ebay. Item 280263163358 on ebay is one of them. Searching for INON on ebay will show them.

    The person doing the selling only copied and pasted website info for the description, which could imply knowing little about them.

    The seller is only using numbers and is quite new to ebay.

     

    Anyone care to share comments about their opinion of buying a Z-240 from that location?

     

    I am interested in buying another Z-240 but certainly am not interested in supporting a certain black market segment.

     

    dave

    Edited by segal3
  2. Well I've started a thread for people who have had stuff stolen to list their items and serials.

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25553

    It's up to people to circulate what's been stolen and help stop the cycle.

     

    If you are worried, ask for the serials and ask Inon if they are reported as stolen.

    Edited by Drew
  3. Well I've started a thread for people who have had stuff stolen to list their items and serials.

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25553

    It's up to people to circulate what's been stolen and help stop the cycle.

     

    If you are worried, ask for the serials and ask Inon if they are reported as stolen.

     

     

    Thanks for the serial number suggestion. I will ask about that. I generally will not buy expensive gear from someone on ebay with few previous entries, which applies to this offering.

  4. The guy has been an ebay member since July 08, has only four feedbacks, two for toys he bought under $10 each. He has never sold anything before, and is outside of the country. I would not go near that one even if he could provide a serial number.

  5. the person is selling other scuba gear too (S&S strobe, dive light), all with the same description:

     

    "perfect conditions,almost un-used....paypal only plase..... "

     

    It looks very very suspicious, I wonder how we could get the police to look into this. The seller clearly knows nothing about this equipment.

     

    scott

  6. Well he knows enough to set the selling prices at levels that sound reasonable. I do suggest we do not overreact as it may be just some guy who spent too much money on gear and happens to live in PR. Serials are always good to start with.

    Edited by segal3
  7. I sent him a message asking for a serial number, but...no reply.

  8. OK, well now I see the importance of writing all of this stuff down, I will need it for insurance anyway. As for ebay, they are very hard to deal with even when you truly suspect someone is fraudulent. We are working with them right now with our retail store and believe me, even the detective is having a really hard time with them. Scott

    Edited by scott_nielsen
  9. May I suggest that people NOT involved in the transaction NOT to get involved in this matter. First of all, an innocent seller may be getting harassed for selling stuff on ebay. Secondly, if there is a FBI investigation ongoing and this is a fraudulent seller, all these inquiries will do is alert this person and they will disappear. This WILL hamper any investigation that is ongoing.

    So my suggestion is for those who have lost any equipment to list their serials in the thread I've given for those who buy 2nd hand stuff online:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25553

    Also send your list of lost equipment to TSA and the airline. That is the way to start claims. If you find your own items on ebay, report it to ebay under the fraud section. It'd help if you don't just report anyone you "suspect" of selling stolen goods because they live in SJ, PR. Otherwise, that'd be profiling. :)

    Edited by Drew
  10. Sure, this guy may be an innocent seller, and anyone can choose to bid or not bid. I "profile" anybody and everybody I buy from on ebay. Especially since were not talking about small change here. Since I emailed him and very nicely asked him for a serial number, and he never emailed me back, that tells me to steer clear. I'd love to pick up a couple of INON strobes for $300 each, but the profile of someone I would buy from just isn't there. Too many red flags!

     

    I think a forum like this is the perfect place to bring this to the attention of our fellow photographers. Not everyone is experienced in buying on ebay and not everyone is aware of the things that have gone on at the Puerto Rico airports. And I seriously doubt we're the only ones talking about it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.