Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon Coolpix 5000 vs 5400

Started by GrtDay ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Coolpix 5000 vs 5400

14 posts
  1. I just returned from The Belize Aggressor. Due to being in a hurry and excited about a dive, my housing flooded destroying my Nikon Coolpix 5000, the battery, and a 1 Gig card! OUCH!

    Needless to say, I need another camera.

    Tell me, O' Sages of Digital UW Photography....

    Will the new Nikon Coolpix 5400 fit into the Ikelite housing designed for the CP5K? I know.... I know....Fat chance, but I had to ask!

    My fingers are crossed and I'm waiting for a definitive answer!

    Thanks for this wonderful forum! :angryfire:

  2. My opinion: the 5000 is a better camera for underwater use. The 5400 doesn't have the nice wide-angle optics.

     

    Get another 5000 (again, IMO).

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Good point, but I'm also using the Inon 100 mm lens on the housing with an available 110mm fish-eye.

    The CP5K is a wonderful camera but alas, it's being phased out....

    Thanks!

  4. Phased out by something that's not as good for your needs? Indeed.

     

    How is the 5400 better than the 5000? If you can answer that question, then we'll be on the way to helping you out.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. You know, feature for feature... I guess they are pretty equal...with the CP5k having the wider lens....

    I've always been an early adopter and never really thought about buying "last-years model" when there is a new one available.

    You have disturbed my complacency....Thank you for that...I think! :D

  6. The definitive answer (confirmed by Ike) is that the 5000 housing will not work for the 5400. The controls have changed, and the size is just a bit differant.

     

    The opinions that the 5000 is superior come from two things (that I've seen, at least) A) No RAW/NEF. Well, the 5400 will get a firmware upgrade to add it, just like the 5000 did, according to most sources, so that may be a non-issue. B) It can't use the E68 wide angle lens. True, but if you don't have that lens it's not a big minus, is it? You still get a much wider view than any of the competitors.

     

    What people are ignoring is this. The 5400 will have an MSRP of $799. That's the current street price of the 5000. When it gets to B&H expect the price to be lower, which makes the current rebate on the 5000 a wash. (in theory) Hmmmm, new camera at last years closeout price. Nice.

     

    With no reviews out yet, I'm not willing to write off the 5400. Maybe they improved shutter lag ... or autofocus ... or LCD brightness ... you just don't know yet.

     

    ------------

     

    Do you know what caused the flood?

  7. I think if you look around you'll find that you can get the 5000 for about $500!!!

     

    The wide angle add-on lens for the 5400 is HUGE compared to the WC-E68 - take a look at it sometime. It's the one used on the 5700.

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. I think if you look around you'll find that you can get the 5000 for about $500!!!

    ... sure, if you want a refurb. But that's not a fair comparison, is it? :D

  9. I picked up a 5000 factory refurb for $489. It's factory sealed and I can't tell it from new. There are all sorts of reasons why a manufacturer can't sell product as new.

  10. OK...OK.

     

    I ordered a new CP5K at $788 with free FedEx Second Day. That's a net of $588 or about $100. more than a refurb.

    I think I'm going to order a refurb too as a back up.

    Thanks to all for your help! :D

  11. I wasn't talking about a refurb - I was/am talking about a new camera. It looks like Grtday just got one for $588

     

    Cheers

    James

  12. I wasn't talking about a refurb - I was/am talking about a new camera.  It looks like Grtday just got one for $588

     

    Cheers

    James

    He paid $788 before rabate ... pretty close to the $799 I quoted, right? :D I wan't to know where I can get a new one for the $500 you're talking about.

     

    I was just pointing out that street prices for the 5400 ($799 MSRP) are fresh into the market going to be about the same price as the 5000 sells for with the closeout "get'em off the shelves" rebate. And I stand by that statement. :(

  13. I looked around on the web and I was able to find quite a few places that sold the 5000 for between $500 and $600.

     

    You should choose a vendor that you are comfortable with, or one that has a good feedback rating.

     

    Cheers

    James

  14. I saw them at Costco recently with a large rebate, but I don't remember the exact price. check a store or online.

    TedJ

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.