Skip to content

Copyright Issues, Non-Payment, Fraud, Theft / Archived topic

What to do when you find someones image?

Started by Lndr ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

What to do when you find someones image?

8 posts
  1. I have seen a few images lately on flickr that have been suspect. This one has a copyright on it though http://www.flickr.com/photos/handsoff/98665050/

     

    Wondering what is the etiquette?? I have had images taken and I would be unhappy to have that happen to my image ... but this photographer has stuff for download and the image says it came from the www.divegallery.com website ???

     

    Curious to know what people think?

     

    Maybe Jeff is a member here?

  2. Here is what is posted on the home page of the web site;

     

    "©1997-2005 Jeffrey N. Jeffords. Please remember that all of the material on this Web site is copyrighted, and may not be used in any form, even on the Internet, without a licensing agreement. Exception: teachers and educators using the material in a classroom setting, students using this material for school assignments; or anyone for personal, noncommmercial use such as screen savers. Unauthorized usage is a violation of the Federal Copyright Law. E-mail me for permission to use at this address:seaslugs@hotmail.com

     

    All photographs appearing in this site are the property of Jeffrey N. Jeffords and are protected under United States and international copyright laws. The photographs may not be reproduced for commercial purposes, displayed on the internet, or manipulated without the written permission of the copyright owner.

    Seems pretty clear to me, I'll send Jeff a note and let him know. Good catch!

    Steve

  3. But the description of the pic also reads:

     

    Show and Tell: This is a Leafy Sea Dragon. I found it on this site, were they have many downloadable pictures!

    www.divegallery.com/Leafy_Sea_Dragon.htm

     

    He would still need permission tough.....

  4. But the description of the pic also reads:

     

    Show and Tell: This is a Leafy Sea Dragon. I found it on this site, were they have many downloadable pictures!

    www.divegallery.com/Leafy_Sea_Dragon.htm

     

    He would still need permission tough.....

    I'm not so sure. The owner makes exceptions to the requirement for a license:

     

    " ... or anyone for personal, noncommmercial use such as screen savers ..."

     

    I think sticking it on your flickr site counts as a personal, non-commercial use. Not so clear cut ...

  5. Just for the record here is Jeff's response to my note;

     

    Thanks for the note -- it is common for me to grant permission to those who wish to host a few of my pics as long as credit is given, the idea being I don't want my images posted in such a way that others may think they're public domain.

     

    I don't specifically remember giving permission to the flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/handsoff/98665050/ but I may have (I'd have to do a detailed check of my email records), and anyway since there's a link and credit I don't really have a problem with it. It actually increases your site's standing in search engines to have referring sites.

     

    The most outrageous instance of copyright violation I can think of is several stamps supposedly from Madagascar that have my images on them. They are actually up for sale at several stamp sites. I don't know if they are official stamps from Madagascar or if these fakes are a gimmick designed for stamp collectors to part with their money.

     

    Regards and thanks for your kind consideration,

     

    Jeff

     

    Good catch Leandr,

    Steve

  6. [/i]Good catch Leandr,

     

     

    It was - having the extra sets of eyes around here is a good thing...

  7. thanks Steve for posting Jeff's response :uwphotog:

     

    I didn't want to be a bull at a gate, simply because there are so many shades of grey to what photographers find acceptable, and also many instances where they will give conditional permission to get their images out there. However, I was also thinking I would want to know if it were mine!

     

    cheers

    Leander

  8. thanks Steve for posting Jeff's response :uwphotog:

     

    I didn't want to be a bull at a gate, simply because there are so many shades of grey to what photographers find acceptable, and also many instances where they will give conditional permission to get their images out there. However, I was also thinking I would want to know if it were mine!

     

    cheers

    Leander

     

     

    Think it was fine, Jeff's took it in the spirit intended, Steve stepped in to make sure he knew about it, and I think we all agree if someone took something of ours we would like to know. So good job :)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.