Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Received 12-24DX

Started by james ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Received 12-24DX

11 posts
  1. Just received my lens from Hong Kong.

     

    Here are the pertinent dimensions:

     

    Length = 3 7/16" or 8.9 CM from lens mount to tip of lens.

     

    Overall length does NOT change when zooming or focusing.

     

    Front ring filter size = 77mm

    Front Ring OD (Max OD of lens) = 8.2cm or 3 1/4"

     

    Lens barrel @ zoom ring diameter (of outside of rubber grip) = 7.4cm or 2.90 inches

     

    The zoom ring is nearest to the filter ring. The focus ring is nearest the lens mount. So backwards to other Nikkors.

     

    Length from CL of zoom ring to lens mount = 5.4cm or 2 1/8"

    Length from rear of rubber grip on zoom ring to lens mount = 4.4cm or 1.75"

     

    HTH

    James Wiseman

  2. Here's a photo of the 12-24 next to the 18-35 (it's film camera counterpart):

     

    1835-1224dx.jpg

     

    I think the 12-24 is slightly bigger to accomodate the AFS motor, etc...

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. That's really useful, James. Thanks.

     

    I am a bit worried about getting a zoom gear to work on the lens (and mesh with the housing).

     

    Have you started playing with this?

     

    Alex

     

    My cunning plan to get a test lens out of Nikon UK for my trip to the Red Sea next week didn't work. Apparently all their test lenses are all at a little known Tennis tounament in South London next week (aka Wimbledon)!

  4. I don't know about Subal, but I don't think the zoom gear will be a problem w/ the Aquatica housing. I tried the gear(s) that Aquatica sent me w/ the S2 housing and they fit nicely over the lens barrel. I would say the length of the gear would have to be something like 1-1/2" to mesh w/ the zoom gear on the housing.

     

    In any case, the barrel of the lens isn't any "fatter" than the 70-180.

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

  5. You probably think you're making the rest of us jealous.

     

    And you'd be right...

  6. James,

    Will the 12-24 work in the ikelite md housing?

    Peter

  7. Hi Peter.

     

    I don't know. Check the dimensions I posted above and see if the zoom ring/gear will fit over the barrel of the lens and the little black clamp.

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. Hi James,

    I'm sorry. Ithought that you were using the 12-24 in your ikelite housing. Have you switched to another?

    Peter

  9. I don't own a housing right now - I am itinerant. Sorry I can't help. I'll test it in my friend's Ikelite housing as soon as he gets back from Bonaire.

     

    Cheers

    James

  10. What? No Housing! I seem to remember getting chastised for this last December :lol:

  11. I was introduced to your brother: Clay Wiseman at the Long Beach scuba show yesterday. He has an S2 and says that there is a rumor that Subal will come out with a housing for it.

     

    OBTW, he is running the most amazing 16 day trip to Indonesia in Nov 04. If I can rasie the jack I'm going.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.