Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Will the N80 fit in the Aquatica AD100 housing?

Started by Kasey ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Will the N80 fit in the Aquatica AD100 housing?

14 posts
  1. Weird how things work. Now that the 12-24 is clearly on the horizon, my fisheye lens is beginning to look obsolete on my D100. I'm thinking about buying an N80 primarily for use with my fisheye lens.

     

    On paper it looks like it will fit right into my AD100 housing - can anyone confirm this?I figure the very small investment in this camera will solve my wide angle issues until Nikon announces a DX fisheye.

  2. I have asked the same question of the Aquatica S2 housing myself.

     

    Blake replied that although currently there is not an adapter plate, it should be possible to create one. I should qualify that he was thinking aloud on the phone at the time and had not tested the N80. I believe that he was working on the assumption that although all the dials and shutter release appear to be in indentical positions the S2 might be slightly taller.

     

    Having placed my S2 next to a F80 and viewed them head on it was only the badging that distinguished them. I hope that an adapter plate does become available as I would relish the oppurtunity to be able to decide if I was shooting digital or film

  3. Unlike the D100, the S2 body is EXACTLY the same as the N80. In fact, Fuji even left the cut-outs inside for the film and the DX contacts are still in there even!

     

    So all of the top controls are in the same place on the S2 as they are on the N80. On the D100, the flash compensation and flash mode are moved (dunno why Nikon did that). I think they are switched.

     

    See the reviews at www.bythom.com for some comparison photos RE the S2/D100 and N80.

     

    I'm sure you could use the N80 in the Aquatica housing - if you're in a hurry to try, you can make a base adapter out of a block of wood or better yet, polyethelene (or however you spell it).

     

    The height of the block will have to be "shaved down" until you get it right the first time.

     

    This is what I plan to do for extended trips instead of buying a second S2 body ($1900) buy an N80 body instead (~$350).

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. The N80 is a superb camera, and on land I always preferred it to my N90s, which I only used underwater. But frankly, after one trip with my D100 underwater, I'll never go back to film!

  5. jimbo - do you still have the n80 - does it fit?

  6. We did our new aluminum back Fuji S2 Pro housing with full controls and did supply a second tray that allowed installation of the N80. This was an early test housing; we will not have production versions until late July............

  7. Howdy, Kasey! I have no idea if the N80 could be fitted into the Aquatica D100 housing, but even if it could, I would not go back to film.

     

    I'll probably sell the N80 on eBay this year!

  8. Jimbo,

     

    I think what he meant was can you try fitting the N80 into your housing and report back?

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. you can make a base adapter out of a block of wook or better yet, polyethelene (or however you spell it).

    So, James, is a fragment split off a block of wook a wookie??? :D

     

    Oh, and why bother with polyethylene... Delrin is the way to go with dive gear nowadays :(

  10. THanks, James, I misunderstood. I'll get out the housing and see if there's any way to make the N80 fit.

     

    Jim

  11. Okay, I tried to fit my N80 in the Aquatica D100 housing. It looks like it would work if you blocked up the N80 about 10-11 mm, enough to allow the MSC switch on the camera to fit into the MSC fork on the housing control. I didn't actually try to do this, but I measured the amount that the camera would have to be raised from the mounting plate. All the controls looked like they should work.

     

    Anyone want a good deal on a like-new N80 with original box, documentation, and extra new batteries? I'll probably be putting it on eBay soon. I'm 100% digital now with no looking back!

     

    Jim Chambers

  12. Same question but different.

     

    As a cheap way of getting into underwater digital , could I squeaze an S2 in to my C&C NX80 housing?

     

    Any body got both bodies and the housing?

     

    Cheers

     

    Edit

     

    Just been looking at some pics of the S2 body , it looks significantly deeper than the D100. The D100 looks about 15mm deeper than the F80, so I guess I would have to do away with the foot plate and camera mount and come up with a different mounting system. (if it fits)

  13. Neither the D100 or the S2 will fit in the NX-80 housing.

     

    HTH

    James Wiseman

  14. even if you could get it to fit the nx80 housing -you would not be able to see the screen.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.