Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

How do you have your SLR setup u/w?

Started by Daylon ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

How do you have your SLR setup u/w?

7 posts
  1. Hi all!

     

    Newbie u/w shooter here, and I have a question for you. When I shoot topside, I have my SLR set so that my thumb activates the AF based on the AF reticle I chose, then I depress the shutter.

     

    I've tried setting it up so that the shutter button focuses on a reticle when I push it halfway, but I've found that if my direct subject isn't on top of that reticle, it will "seek" when I finally recompose and shoot, and holding down that focus lock with my thumb is a little awkward..

     

    Which technique do you guys use when shooting non-macro stuff?

     

    I use a D200, and have it set to Continuous Focus, AF button for focus, metering set to spot -

     

    Any help / tips appreciated -

     

    D.

  2. I don't quite follow what you are saying: I set the focus area that I want for each image, compose and shoot. You are pressing the AF button with your thumb, but not, I think, moving from using the central are for focussing? If you have continuous focus tracking engaged, then the point of focus can shift, but only if the target moves from the chosen focus area. I don't use the AF button, but I am moving the reticule around using the four-way button. I use the larger reticule setting as it makes composition using "rule of thirds" easier (the reticules don't line up with "classical" composition!).

     

    Tim

     

    :P

  3. Hadn't thought of trying that - you mean the larger reticles on the "diamond" setting on the d200? the one that gives you 4-5 larger reticles?

     

    I don't quite follow what you are saying: I set the focus area that I want for each image, compose and shoot. You are pressing the AF button with your thumb, but not, I think, moving from using the central are for focussing? If you have continuous focus tracking engaged, then the point of focus can shift, but only if the target moves from the chosen focus area. I don't use the AF button, but I am moving the reticule around using the four-way button. I use the larger reticule setting as it makes composition using "rule of thirds" easier (the reticules don't line up with "classical" composition!).

     

    Tim

     

    :offtopic:

  4. None of the options apply to me. I have my D300 set up for AF-C (continuous AF when the shutter is pressed). While I may half press the shutter, I'm still relying on the camera to continue to focus until I release the shutter. I never use AF/AE lock.

     

    The D300 has 51 focus areas to choose from so I select on most appropriate for the subject.

  5. Looks like the voting is evenly split each way - (save a couple of manual focusers) - interesting...

  6. Even manual focus users can be set up for option 1 and techniques are different for macro and wide angle. Not all rigs support option 1.

  7. Hi Daylon and welcome from a fellow Texian.

     

    When Daylon says reticle - we usually call that the focus point or AF sensor point. He must be a fighter pilot or something :-) they call it an aiming reticle I think.

     

    I personally use Option 1 for all of my macro shooting and sometimes for wideangle. If it's fast action like sharks, I use AI-Servo AF or for Nikonians AF-C This works great on a professional SLR.

     

    Cheers

    James

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.