Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

DAN Equipment Insurance

Started by GrtDay ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

DAN Equipment Insurance

14 posts
  1. I'm here to tell y'all that DAN's equipment insurance works and is very easy.

    I stupidly flooded my Nikon Cp5K and they cut me a check on the day I reported it. There was a $250. "flooding" deductible but that is to be expected.

    I insured my entire system for only $99. so it wasn't a total wash.

    I had D.E.P.P. insurance before and never needed it.

    I'm here to endorse the DAN insurance. Remember: With motorcycles, hard drives, and camera housings....It's not an IF but only a WHEN.

    Let me know if you have any further questions. Love this board! Dive cheerfully! :D

  2. I second that.

  3. I third that!

    Motocycle - Yes, Hard Drive - Yes, Housing - Not Yet.

  4. Hello,

     

    I bought DAN insurance for my set-up but haven't had to use it ...yet (I've flooded a MMII and strobe in the past). I was wondering what kind of proof they require when you make a claim. Do they want the insured items sent to them? I hate to bring this up, but it seems very prone to insurance fraud by unscrupulous people.

     

    I insured my camera and lenses. I actually didn't think to insure my DS-125. Are people out there insuring their strobes as well?

     

    John

  5. You have to take the flooded equipment to an authorized repair center and get an estimate. Then send that to DAN. If it says "Beyond Economic Repair" then you show DAN a replacement estimate and they send you a check.

     

    It all takes about a week if the repair center is in your city.

     

     

    HTH

    James

  6. I insured ALL of my camera gear. Both strobes, camera, housing, and arms. It was the best $99. I've ever spent.

    I didn't have to take to a "DAN Authorized Service Center". Just your local camera repair center.

    It was simple and easy and very FAST.

    Hat's off to DAN insurance. :D

  7. The good thing about DAN insurance is that they pay cash value, rather than replacing the equipment.

  8. Well, yes insurance is a good thing BUT,

    let's do a littel math:

    I am not going to talk about the guru's out there and the pros with $4000 cameras and $5000 strobes.

    Let's talk about the middle guys: $500 camera and $500 strobe. Strobes don't flood! Well, they do but not that often so the camera is $500 and that will have to be replaced.

     

    Unfortunately I speak from experience and the fresh water damage on a $500 camera is $350 (yes, I did flooded my canon S40) to be repaired.

     

    So now the littel math: $250 deductible and sbbstract that from $350 and you will have a net huge sum of .... $100. .... Which is what you have to pay for the DAN insurance for the first year.

    So if you do let's say 80 dives a year and you take your cameda down in 50 of them, about 30 will be shallow dives, about 10 will be 60-80 ft and the rest of 10 will be 100 - 120 ft when your camera may flood.

     

    Is this worth it?

    I don't know.

     

    I am not sure if you guys notice it but the $99 is the first bracket for equipment insurance and I think anything less than $5000 will be insured with $99 a year.

     

    So I say: NO, DAN insurance, as all insurance is NOT good.

    Good would be if they would have let's say 5% of what you want to get back to pay per year.

    I want to insure my $500 camera for $500 no deductible ... well that would be $25 a year.

    I don't want to pay my camera back again in two years!

    You guys know that your great 5 MP cameras in 2 years will be on your kid's tables ang you will have probably a 15 - 20 MP camera!

     

    Let's get real, insurance is not that good!

     

    Vlad

  9. Well, yes insurance is a good thing BUT,

    let's do a littel math:

    I am not going to talk about the guru's out there and the pros with $4000 cameras and $5000 strobes.

    Let's talk about the middle guys: $500 camera and $500 strobe. Strobes don't flood! Well, they do but not that often so the camera is $500 and that will have to be replaced.

    I agree. For those of us with consumer cameras, it doesn't make sense to insure if you can afford the replacement cost. For $99 a year with a $250 deductible, I'd take my chances.

  10. This makes sense if you consider only flood damages. However, the insurance also covers loss, and then you have to not only calculate the value of the camera but also housing, strobes, lenses etc.

     

    And you can also include regular dive gear, e.g. your computer, until you reach the cap for the $99 insurance.

     

    Michael

  11. Then again, most people I know have insurance for travel, and the good plans cover many causes of losses for your equipment as well. For consumer digicam the $99/year is quite a lot.

  12. It may be great but its only available in the US, not Europe.

    So for the rest of us...

  13. So for the rest of us...

    You can try DEPP. Anyone have any experiences to share re: DEPP?

  14. My wife and I changed from DEPP to DAN this year. No special reason, but since we're DAN members, we figured it made sense to use the DAN insurance.

     

    We're not made of money. We've obtained our dive and photo gear one piece at a time over the years. If we flooded or lost something, we would have to dig deep to replace it. So for us, it's the peace of mind that's worth the annual premium.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.