This crab has the dark spot on the carapace that is meant to be characteristic of Atergatis subdentatus, but I'm not sure about the lighter patterns. Any ideas?
![]()
![]()
![]()
Read-only discussion
This crab has the dark spot on the carapace that is meant to be characteristic of Atergatis subdentatus, but I'm not sure about the lighter patterns. Any ideas?
![]()
![]()
![]()
Nice photos! Too bad the id is hard...
I don't know if the dark spot enclosing 2 smaller white spots belongs to A. subdentatus or Carpilius convexus. Some of what I've found indicates that it's characteristic of C. convexus so I'm confused..... (as usual)
http://www.nio.res.in/Biology/brachyuran/c...s_convexus.html
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/reefs/guamimg/cru...es/Image20.html
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:At...subdentatus.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Cr...vexus_edit1.jpg
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/reefs/guamimg/cru...ges/Image5.html
http://www.mbi.nsysu.edu.tw/~fiddler/crab/...us_convexus.htm
Thanks, Leslie.
Looking at Gosliner, et al, again, I think I can rule A. subdentatus out as they list "Philippines and Japan) for distribution. The photographs were taken on the GBR.
From ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/009/w7192e/w7192e31.pdf for C. convexus:
Diagnostic characters: Carapace ovate; dorsalsurface very smooth and convex. Colour: uniform
red to reddish brown, with irregular dark brown
patches on the dorsal surface of carapace.
Maybe it isn't C. convexus. ![]()
Allen and Steene have two photographs of C. convexus. One is uniformly coloured with the dark spot with two smaller white spots in the centre of the carapace. The other shows a more mottled form. Perhaps it is C. convexus after all.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.