Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Macro Focus - Land vs. Underwater

Started by Irwin ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro Focus - Land vs. Underwater

4 posts
  1. On land my 4040 macro focus range is rated at 8 inches to 2.6 feet. What will that be underwater with a flat port?

  2. Well this is what I think the answer is, I willing to be proved wrong by someone who actually knows:

     

     

    If the port window was right next to the lens, and it was a thin lens, then the minimum focal distance would be increased by a factor of 1.33 (ie the refractive index of sea water).

     

    So this would mean that the 8 inches goes to 10.6 inches. In reality the port is not right next to the lens and it isn't a thin lens so this factor is reduced.

     

    I guess I'm going to have to spend this evening with a camera in bucket of water to test.....

  3. I've been waiting to see if someone else would answer this since I'm not certain either. I believe nicholasmo is correct, though. The distances should be increased by a factor of 4/3 ignoring the internal distance from the lens to the port. Actual focusing range of the camera and DOF may overwhealm the difference though.

  4. I would have thought that focal length decreases due refraction causing magnification. I think I'm right about that, but I'm not sure.

     

    Perhaps it's 8/1.33 = 6 inch ?

     

    The math and factor of 1.33 may be wrong but someone should be able to verify from experience if minimum focal length increases or decreases u/w.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.